• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Better skis for floatation

569jason

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 RS VENTURE GT
I have a rs nytro. I know my nytro is not a powder sled but my riding group likes to go off trail much more now with gps. I'm just looking for better floatation. I'm not going to extended the track I like the shortie. This weekend was my first trip with the nytro. I was very happy with her overall, the only issue was digging her out 5 times, it seems like the skis just cut right though the deep snow. Are the yamaha mountain skis a good way to go or aftermarket? I think the yamahas would be cheaper but would they work on the trails?

I have some black all powder pros with mounts and carbide for 200 plus shipping.They work great on that chasis.

I have some black all powder pros with mounts and carbide for 200 plus shipping.They work great on that chasis.

Yes some of my UP buddies riding Yamaha's went with Yamaha mtn skis and they love them off trail and said they are no problems on the trail. This is on RS Rages and FX Nytros! I was going to go that route but got a set of pilots super cheap but I still might pick up a set for off trail excursions as my pilots dive alot worse than the mtn skis.

I put Slydog Powderhounds on my RS Rage and it made a huge difference. They work well on the trails but are nice and big to keep that 973 up in deeper stuff.

I have the Yamaha mountain skis on my 06 Nytro and find them to be a great all-round ski. I have had stock skis with Snow Trackers and Pilots and find the mountain skis to be much more versatile

You want to float Gen 2 Simmons are the way to go. Had them on the Vector
and switched them to the Apex. Decent on the trail. (IMHO better than the
stock mountain skis with the stock carbides) I was stuck all the time before
I got them and not once since. (Both mountain sleds) My friend just ordered
a pair for his Apex Mt after trying to ride behind me. Yep , he was stuck immediately. He had put the woody's carbides on his mountain skis to clean
up the darting. They will go on the wifes Phazer MTX.

I liked the yamaha mtn ski with some decent carbides on the trail, and off trail they were fine for what we do...WAY better (and safer) then the stock skies in the ditch and off trail

rancidjo said:
I liked the yamaha mtn ski with some decent carbides on the trail, and off trail they were fine for what we do...WAY better (and safer) then the stock skies in the ditch and off trail

Hey rancidjo, Looking at your avatar, it looks like you have an issue with ski lift on water!! :pics:

FWIW, I bought a set of skiis for an RS Viking. Local dealer had one in for service and I saw how huge they were, figured I try them for the price. My guess is that the MTX ski is better overall, but with a decent runner, the VK ski was decent on trail and offered great flotation off trail.

Don't know what you are running for a track, but I took an RS Nytro out west once with the VK skiis on it. The front would float and the rear would sink somethnig fierce. I was running a 1.5" fully clipped ripsaw.

Here's a picture of the VK ski next to a 6.9" Pilot on a Rev Renegade.

With the VK ski you can get a set of wide skins for it. Those are rediculously wide!

Attachments

• DSC01530 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01530 - Copy.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 89
Bradford said:
rancidjo said:

Hey rancidjo, Looking at your avatar, it looks like you have an issue with ski lift on water!! :pics:

Had it set up with the perfect amount of "outside" ski lift that day....lol

thegrizzly1 said:
FWIW, I bought a set of skiis for an RS Viking. Local dealer had one in for service and I saw how huge they were, fugured I try them for the price. My guess is that the MTX ski is better overall, but with a decent runner, the VK ski was decent on trail and offered great flotation off trail.

Don't know what you are running for a track, but I took an RS Nytro out west once with the VK skiis on it. The front would float and the rear would sink somethnig fierce. I was running a 1.5" fully clipped ripsaw.

With the VK ski you can get a set of wide skins for it. Those are rediculously wide!

I saw those VK ski skins on the dealer floor a few weeks ago...SUPER wide

I use sly dog trail skis the powder hounds are to wide for my trailer skis over lap I have them on both my venture and rage.

thegrizzly1 said:
FWIW, I bought a set of skiis for an RS Viking. Local dealer had one in for service and I saw how huge they were, fugured I try them for the price. My guess is that the MTX ski is better overall, but with a decent runner, the VK ski was decent on trail and offered great flotation off trail.

So are the VK skis different than the Yamaha mountain ski? If so, how wide are they?

Back