• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Biggest differences coming from a 2stroke

With your extra cash from not overhauling engines every winter you'll be buying more accessories for your sled.
I don't think people have saved money with winders seeing all the go fast goodies they put on them.

Last edited:
What are the biggest differences coming from a 2 stroke and going to a 4stroke?

Handling - front ends are very planted on the 4's and you have to make that work to your advantage. With a bit of work you can easily make them steer light and make a smooth turning machine. Most 2's have front ends that are very light and can be flipant in corners and during acceleration. The procross with the 998, is incredibly flat in corners and very predictable.

Dont know what your plans are for ownership timeframe - but i have a '18 and have no plans of changing until there is some major change currently has 12,000km. The odometer will be well over 20,000 km by the time i flip it. My Nytro's 1049 ran for 24,000 km without an issue. Thats why i prefer a 4.

MS

Tune it and clutch it. Then you get the best of both worlds. Quick spooling hit for playing off hill tops and powering out of corners when you want to be aggressive, and big trail power too. No stink, no vibration, no oil fill ups no engine rebuilds unless you go too far with tune.

HUGE increase in usable power, even more so if you have it tuned.
1/4 to 1/2 throttle opening is the equivalent of 3/4 to full throttle of an 850

A 2-stroke feels urgent whereas a 4-stroke feels relentless. The addiction to 2-stroke is the throttle blip and instantaneous response, that addiction is cured once you feel your arm stretch on a 4-stroke/winder, and realize, it isn't going to stop anytime soon. At speed, in the mid cruising range, the 2-stroke will feel flat by comparison as the 4-stroke yanks just as hard as it did at lower-mid speeds and keep pulling hard. As @Sevey mentioned, handling is different, a lot more planted, especially coming out of corners, while 2-stroke guys are sawing away trying to hang on to the line in the corner and coming out of the corner, the 4-stroke is much more predictable but you have to understand that and make it work for you. Much of this comes down to setup and making sure you understand the handling/power. The 4-stroke is heavier but then most high performance cars are surprisingly heavy because weight is only a factor at launch, after that, horsepower matters the most and weight actually starts to work for you, this is a subtlety that escapes most 4-stroke naysayers. On goat paths the 4-stroke is more work but very manageable, on anything but goat paths the 2-stroke is feels somewhat anemic by comparison as power flattens out fast. AND, if you somehow do get bored with the power, you are a very affordable credit card charge away from huge power increases while giving up zero reliability, and your credit card will take a lot less of a ding over time so you can afford it.

the biggest difference will be learning to roll into and out of the throttle. all the ones i have driven prefer that other wise sled does not like it.
Exactly, guys behind me don't see my brake light, as I don't use it unless I'm really on and off the fun flipper hard. Engine braking is all I need many times when riding casually.

You won't add oil at every gas fill-up, you will change your engine oil once per season.
This doesn't really apply anymore. The Doo 600/800 and 850's in our group use very little oil to the point that none of them carry oil on the trail, even when in Michigan putting on big miles. I cannot say the same for the AC's and Poos in the group, as they are older, and oil thirsty. I would have to believe the newer models sip oil as well. It's not 1999 anymore.

A 2-stroke feels urgent whereas a 4-stroke feels relentless. The addiction to 2-stroke is the throttle blip and instantaneous response, that addiction is cured once you feel your arm stretch on a 4-stroke/winder, and realize, it isn't going to stop anytime soon. At speed, in the mid cruising range, the 2-stroke will feel flat by comparison as the 4-stroke yanks just as hard as it did at lower-mid speeds and keep pulling hard. As @Sevey mentioned, handling is different, a lot more planted, especially coming out of corners, while 2-stroke guys are sawing away trying to hang on to the line in the corner and coming out of the corner, the 4-stroke is much more predictable but you have to understand that and make it work for you. Much of this comes down to setup and making sure you understand the handling/power. The 4-stroke is heavier but then most high performance cars are surprisingly heavy because weight is only a factor at launch, after that, horsepower matters the most and weight actually starts to work for you, this is a subtlety that escapes most 4-stroke naysayers. On goat paths the 4-stroke is more work but very manageable, on anything but goat paths the 2-stroke is feels somewhat anemic by comparison as power flattens out fast. AND, if you somehow do get bored with the power, you are a very affordable credit card charge away from huge power increases while giving up zero reliability, and your credit card will take a lot less of a ding over time so you can afford it.
Really well said.

This doesn't really apply anymore. The Doo 600/800 and 850's in our group use very little oil to the point that none of them carry oil on the trail, even when in Michigan putting on big miles. I cannot say the same for the AC's and Poos in the group, as they are older, and oil thirsty. I would have to believe the newer models sip oil as well. It's not 1999 anymore.
The 850 Doo likes its oil, I know guys that have them.

Back in the day my Attak was the only four stroke in our group of 6 to 12 riders. Last season we did a 400 mile ride, with 8 sleds, and there was only one 2 stroke a 850 Polaris and every other sled was a Turbo except one 2013 Apex.
In our group...if you are riding the groomed trails 4 stroke is the only way to go...off trail/mountains obviously you want the advantages a 2 stroke offers.
Also when the 850 Doos show up for our rides they guzzle the oil and are no better at the pumps then the SWs and 900R Doos

Damn Earthling! Perhaps you should be writing for Yamaha in sled magazines...very well put!! Joe

What are the biggest differences coming from a 2 stroke and going to a 4stroke?
Amount of dependable HP. Weight difference will be very noticeable on smaller trails, but 4 strokes don’t go boom unlike 2 strokes. So do not ry to run with a 4 stroke on long halls or else.

Have had way to many 2 strokes to mention all, but blew up most of them on Big trails. Whereas have had 4 Four strokes and did not blow one, even with tunes or piggy back turbo systems.

When it is ten below zero with high barometric pressure, the sun is shining, and Kevlar Lake is perfectly flat for several miles, you won't have to worry about puking your Winder or Tcat as you keep the throttle pinned to the bar for the length of the lake.

Back