• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown engine update!!! Yamaha drops the ball again!!

This "dealer loyalty" business is B.S. I proved that when I bought mine from my local dealer...where all my friends buy their sleds, where I have always bought my parts, and where I'm known on a first name basis. I bought my sled, for a couple hundred bucks more than I could have gotten it from a northern NH dealerthat I checked it. On top of that, the local dealer threw in NOTHING. Not even a complimentary registration. The other dealer was going to give me saddle bags, tank bag, cover, and registration for free. I wanted the local dealer, because thats where I was going to be taking the sled. I won't go into my service history, but I was porked, and porked hard by that dealer.

I was watching this one closely, because I was hoping you would win it. On the upside, you are right, it definately sounds like a factory defect for that to come apart. On the downside, 1. You were off warranty. 2. You didn't have any claims of problems possibly relating to this one on record with a dealer. 3. You had aftermarket performance parts on the engine, which in itself would void an engine warranty anyway.

I was hoping you would win, because then I would have an awesome case for my problem, where 1. I had made 2 complaints to 2 different dealers about my problem while the sled was under warranty...one at under 1000 miles a few weeks after buying the sled, the next at around 3000 miles just before the warranty ran out. 2. My engine (and the entire sled) was bone stock at the time of the complaints. Right now its a coin toss about whether I'll be covered or not. I haven't heard back from the dealer since Tuesday, but when I talked to him then, it didn't sound good.

Taking them to court over a matter like this just doesn't make financial sense, unless you have the money to spend and want to make a point. I've talked with lawyers about a couple problems I've had, one of them being a repair shop that left my truck outside without the hood or air cleaner on, and rain got inside the engine and seized it. The engine was junk and had to be replaced. Lawyer told me I could spend $1500+ for his fees, but with a replacement motor running less than that, I'd be losing money. You would be in the same boat. Spend $1500 on a lawyer, or spend $1500-$2000 for a good used engine. You might be losing $500, but you would miss time from work to meet with the lawyer and go to court, so it evens out.

Tough call. I feel for you, and I know where you are coming from. I get to look at the fresh snow outside my door, the first good snow of the year, and my sled is torn down with only 220 miles on it this season. Not fun. And definately NOT why I bought a new sled!!! I might as well have bought a used one for half of what I spent on this, then the extra money could have gone to repairs.

Jim

Broken, I have been in several disputes in my time. Remember, cooler heads prevail. This is what I would do, I would take it to a third dealer. I would put everything in writing. I would first write a letter to the third dealer, then have the sled looked at. Then start a letter to Yamaha and work your way up from there. All letters should be certified mail. Try to get a person as high up in the food chain as possible. If you have patience and time, you will prevail. Do not loose your cool. I am a man of principle, if you are right, you work to prove it. I would not threaten until the very end. When you put things in writing in this country, people get very nervous. I would also not bash Yamaha publicly on this site, I would just state the facts and give updates as you go. Yamaha has to be careful in what they say and do because then everyone on the fringe of having problems will want their issues taken care of as well. I am new to the area here in Laconia, NH and had some work done at HK Powersports. The service manager by the name of Chris was very good, thourough and got my sled out the door on time and below the quoted estimate. He did not care where I purchased my sled. I have heard from many other people in the area that they are a very good shop. Be persistant, be professional and never give up. Only go to court as a last resort. A lawyer once told me that if you can't resolve your matter and it goes to court, both sides loose. I would like to stay in touch with you along the way to see how you are making out. One story for you from Hudson Yamaha. This is the truth, no lie. There is/was a tech there that did a great deal of work for me when I first purchased my sled. I was very green. I asked him to move my throttle lever down to make it easier on my thumb as far as positioning goes. He said no problem, all he would have to do is pull the pin out, redrill another hole in the handle bars and reposition the throttle. I said no problem. Later that season I was out with Scott Boddie another fellow TY rider and I said to him, I would love to adjust my throttle position even more, but I had to take it to the dealer to do so. He looked at me like I had two heads and said watch this. He pulled out a screwdriver, loosened two screws and I could put the throttle anywhere I liked. My jaw hit the seat. I was very naive, but it just goes to show what some people will try to get away with.

NH rider they can only void your warranty if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused the problem. I am all about giving recognition to people that deserve it to, so I dont know how many of you are from Maine but Woodys in Topsham gave me great warranty service on a sled I bought somewhere else. I bought mine used with 600 miles on it from a dealer quite a ways away, but it was 700 dollars cheaper than any other sled and was in perfect shape. So anyway went there asked them if they would do my warranty work they said yes. I brought it there 2/8 and he said they probably wouldnt be able to get it in till next week. He was honest no BS promises. Well we got some snow and I called they said coome pick it up if I wanted handed me the slip and said bring it back when I was done over the weekend and the slip would have the old date on it (would get me in ahead of others) brought it back down 2/15 they fixed the exhaust leak did all my updates sealed the guages removed the heat shield ordered me a new seat cover and noticed it was idling rough and synched the carbs. The only thing they charged me for was 1/2 hour labor (not even a whole hour I charge an hour minimum) for synching the carbs. They had it all done by 2/17. Great service nice guys good selection of factory Yamaha and aftermarket stuff. Plus they race and have turbo sleds. That makes me more comfotable with asking them about performance stuff. I know when I buy my 06 (oops I mean if I buy and the old lady is reading this) I will get it from them.

'm well aware of what the actually warranty laws are, but real life is different. Dealers will usually drop the warranty first, then its up to you to take them to court to prove that it wasn't your part that caused the problem. I went through that with a pickup I bought new. Ever since new the battery was always dead. There was an electrical problem, as well as a faulty alternator. For the first 3 visits to the dealer the truck was bone stock. Next visit for the same exact problem, I had a Pioneer CD player head unit in it. POOF! No more warranty for the problem. They claimed the CD player was causing the problem. Funny it wasn't there the other 3 times...but it didn't matter. I could hire a lawyer, where I would probably win, and it would cost me more than having the work done...which is just what they count on. They know nobody will take them to court over little things. I wound up getting ticked, going to a boneyard, and getting an alternator off a Suburban diesel and putting it on my S-10. No more dead batteries, and it was quicker, easier, and cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

Hell, last year my dealer fought with me over my heated shield plug and the power outlet for my GPS! Think that had anything to do with the seat the sled was there to have replaced? After a heated argument they did the work anyway and "looked the other way".

Jim

A dealer is a person doing business. A good businessman would look at the clients future buying potential as well as the actual claim. We do not know how Yamaha treats their dealers on warranty items and most dealers won't divulge that info.

A happy customer comes back time and time again and tells everyone about the dealer.

A po'd customer doesn't come back and may tell a few people but realistically doesn't want to feel riled forever so soon forgets about spreading the bad word. My point is that bad news does NOT travel fast, but good news does travel far.

There are lots of businessmen out there with their heads firmy planted up their own rectum without the possibility of the light of day. They won't be in business forever treating customers like that. Except Harley dealers. The product precludes the dealer in that case.

I personally use Central Sled in Wetaskiwin. Jerry treats us well and is fair in his warranty claims. Fortunately, I haven't had any MAJOR ones. How a dealer treats PR stuff probably reflects their financial status as well.

I'll shut up now, I'm drifting.....

Back