• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown rear shock again..

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
I had my rear shock replaced at 1400 miles last year.. Now with 3800 miles on it, it has lost its charge AGAIN..

Going to call the dealer and see if they will cover it under the YES plan tommaro..

I really wish i wouldnt have ordered a GT... to much headach with that rear shock.. UGGG...

Attachments

• jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 78

Welter...wow,this seems to be a GT issue across the board....I hear more and more about GT EC shocks giving out...that just sucks that the flagship model has these probs...

keep us posted,could you get a different shock?..i know it wouldnt have the EC though...just a thought.

dan

Well I thought I blew out my Pioneer revavled BlOlhins but Bruce says its fine. The wire did break though in spite of it having been rerouted per the bulletin. Unfortunately, Pioneer was late sending my shock back so the dealer thew in an ER shock so I could ride this weekend. Rides great but I seem to have more of the slow speed slapping sound from the limiter straps. That may just be the shitty trails I'm riding though. Once I get tired of fixing the electronic shock I may just put an ER shock back in.

Friend had his gone last year after 500 miles. Had it replaced at end of year and you know, first ride out this year and it acted up again. Dealer said it was just the compression adj. that was done but will have to see. Broke the wire too again.

FYI... you can tell if it looses its charge because it bottoms out easier and tends to bounce around...

Also if you try to turn the rebound adjuster it will not click..

I have 1100 miles on mine so far and have not had the problem yet. But then I'm not really horsing the suspension too much either. I won't ride unless there is at least 6" of snow or a good solid base to ride on.

Blown shock

My shock blew @ 1,100 miles My shock is @ the dealer and the snow is a coming.
Good job on the R and D Yamaha. Must have had the same guy working on the handwarmers. Or was it the idler wheels.
I quess i should not be mad. What do i expect for 11 grand. :o|

I started the year off with a new shock,got it revalved by carver and after 2000 mi it's still working great. Ohlines used to be the best shock money could buy, I don't know what happened?

Ohlines still is the best shock, I would think Yamaha would give them the specs and then ohlines would mass produced them. I can't see ohlines even testing with out Yamaha input so maybie Yamaha just got it wrong with the valving.

anybody try calling ohlins to see if theres a new mod for the shock?,instead of replacing it with just a new shock?
they were great to deal with for my bike shock.....
gary~

shock

3 new shocks last year.. After the first one I installed the Big Boy spring on the second one, Still blew. Sent out the last one a few weeks ago to Bruce at pioneer. Week before last put over 1100 miles with some big jumps. SHOCK IS STILL ALIVE!!! Problem solved....

Chain Case leaking AGAIN!!!!!, froze my F$%^& hands off and this sled still handles like crap in the corners.

I really miss my Viper......

06 APEX GT for sale.....

-Moose

Alright guys. I hear your frustrations loud and clear. A few things Id like to address

1. Ohlins are not built by Yamaha. They are speced for the GT because of there ease of adjustability and plush ride on the "Groomed Trail" version of the Apex. Like all rebuildable shocks, they will require maintenence after a season or two. I think dealers have the ultimate responsibility to educate the customers as to what a specific model is designed for, and what pound rider. Most of the failed Ohlins shocks I have heard or were from riders on GTs over the 200-210 lb. mark. Big boy spring is mandatory for riders over that range on GTs.

2. Handle bar fiasco- Well what else can be said. You guys need to take all of your issues to your dealer and demand results for your concerns. Its the only Yamaha will hear you. Windshiled designs on 06 and 07 apex models offer minimal protection for your hands with regards to wind. Welteracer prooved this last week by just installing something as silly as a Ziplock bag over his hands. Then reported that it worked excellent. What does that tell you? Install handguards or a higher windshield, or gauntlets if you are having bar issues. That or again, take the problem to your dealer.

3. As for YammiMooses comments about how his sled handles. Have you attempted to change front ride heights? Can you elaborate a bit more on crappy handeling? Properly set, the Apex can corner just excellent.

4. We have so many more ways to address problems on our sleds than our fathers did back in the days of "ride one day, fix the next". I am of the opinion that these todays sleds take even more abuse than sled of days gone by. Higher speeds, better handeling, more miles all contribute to extreme vigors on a machine. All the technology in the world cant overcome friction, constant pounding, extreme weather conditions and rider abuse.

Lastly, I sincerely appreciate the comments, and complaints you guys are seeing in the field. But please do yourselves a favor and take the problems to your dealer. If your dealer doesnt address it, get a new dealer. Also feel free to call Yamaha and report your complaints...BBY

I love my GT, but as all sleds do they have issues :o|

We should all be happy that these Apex's have less probs. than most other brands. :Rockon:

You don't hear the Cat people whining about the coolant hoses and spark plug wires rubbing thru on the steering post..............but it does happen :yam:

Back