• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Boosting the Phazer

rfabro said:
Granahan, you had tuning problems with the MCX kit? What efi kit are you running now?

Rideblue, can you elaborate on the boosted Phazer engine/drivetrain failures?

The bottom end of the Phazer engine is not made near as strong as their other 4 strokes. This thing was built for light weight and is an entry level sled after all.
The reverse gear case was not ment for more than 80 HP and is a pain to work on if there is a problem. That is wht it is not on the Nytro.

Granahan378 said:
It makes a difference when you put oil in the chain case after you regear! Didnt realize i had to check your work, sled rocks boosted not sure if i would go mcx though. Best of luck-i run 18lbs with 116 octane no head shim with a custom fuel delivery setup pm me if you have any q's!

By the way there was oil in the chain case, it leaked out over time because of a crack in the gasket and that starved the oil supply to the reverse gear case. It wouldn't have made it through one ride whitout oil! And yes you do need to check your fluids! Thats part of owning a machine.
In case you forgot, it was all covered under warranty, did not cost you a dime and i gave you a sled to ride!

rideblue said:
rfabro said:
Granahan, you had tuning problems with the MCX kit? What efi kit are you running now?

Rideblue, can you elaborate on the boosted Phazer engine/drivetrain failures?

The bottom end of the Phazer engine is not made near as strong as their other 4 strokes. This thing was built for light weight and is an entry level sled after all.
The reverse gear case was not ment for more than 80 HP and is a pain to work on if there is a problem. That is wht it is not on the Nytro.

Can you remove the reverse gearbox? I thought I heard of people doing this. And yes the blocks are weak on these motors but it takes alot of boost with a head shim are low compression pistons to make them fail, I was told anything over 20 pds with rods and pistons installed would eventually fail if used at that level for extended periods. Outlaw ran there phazers at 25 pds with rods and pistons and they didnt last very long, Weak blocks.

you can replace the jackshafts/gearbox with a solid jackshaft from a standard 07 phazer, its a $135.00 part I dont know what you do with the wiring any ideas?

The gear selector motor has two switches in it, you will have to jump the white wire with the blue stripe to ground to fool the sled into thinkig it is in drive. Ditching the reverse would be sweet because it is really weak and all of the internal parts spin all of the time. On turbo applications you would also be able to ditch that charge tube with all of the funky dents in it for a nice smooth one. Anyone who installs thier own upgrades and does their own maintenance should spend the bucks on the service manual it is essential for solving problems like this.

No I haven't done it yet but seriously looking into it. I would like to get about 180 hp out of mine this year and the reverse box scares me. My trailer is drive on drive off and I never use reverse anyway, the few times I have it has been a pain in the as@.

Attachments

• yamaheater.jpg
    yamaheater.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 105
so does anyone actually run a turbo'd phazer with just letting the mcx do its thing or does everyone just get a boost controller? just asking cause i wanna buy a turbo but dont have money for control box too, not really looking for too much more power either, 140 horse is plenty for now.

mac69 said:
so does anyone actually run a turbo'd phazer with just letting the mcx do its thing or does everyone just get a boost controller? just asking cause i wanna buy a turbo but dont have money for control box too, not really looking for too much more power either, 140 horse is plenty for now.

You dont need to buy all the extra, they work fine with out it, those who like to tune and run more boost prefer it for safety reasons.

Where are you guys buying the MCX kits? The closest place I found was in Montana. What is the ballpark cost for the basics you need to get and still have it hold together.

Buy from Lepnhimer in Montana, Mark is a good person to deal with.
Basicly you just need the turbo kit, boost guage and some clutch pieces, you will have to plug the hole in the rear of the tunnel if its a 07 model, And you should reroute your airfilter out the back. Mark can set you up with everything you need. There are Mcxpress dealers all around the Northwest and Britsh Columbia you'se the dealer locater on the www.mc-xpress.com website

Where do you live ak? I ordered my jack shaft today but it cost a hell of a lot more than 135 bucks. Try 250 bucks Cdn, but I think it will be a small price to pay to increase to reliability of the sled and ditch some weight at the same time. I'm sure it takes a few horse to spin that stuff also.

Back