• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broke my ZX2

KevinS

Expert
On the way back from a buddies cabin. About 75 miles from home I noticed that my ZX2 started to bottom out a lot. Stopped to take a look and found that I had broken the bottom shaft that the 2 shocks attach to. Breaking this caused the rails to become out of alignment which caused the track clips to wear thru the side of my slides and into my rails. The one side is not as bad as the other.

Anyone ever replaced a rail? How much are they?

DSC02097.jpg

DSC02098.jpg

DSC02099.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

DSC02102.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

Wow! Surprised that more damage didn't occur. How is the track? Call Boivin to get replacement cost, I have no idea.

How many miles did you have on the suspension?

Grimm said:
Wow! Surprised that more damage didn't occur. How is the track? Call Boivin to get replacement cost, I have no idea.

How many miles did you have on the suspension?

I bought it used. I have put about 3000 miles on it. I have a brand new set of sliders that I just bought. I just slid them on the rails and they appear to fit with no issue. The right side rail which has the lesser amount of wear is still usable. It is the left side that I may need to replace. I am going to call them tomorrow and get a cost on a rail. I run the heavy duty springs so that may have contributed to this failure.

Track looks fine. You can see on the side of the clips where it was wearing on the rails as there is plastic built up but no damage to any inside lugs.

As of today our snow is pretty much gone so riding is done for the season anyway.

I'd recommend getting a new pair of rails, then one rail won't be more "tired" than the other. Longevity is unknown with this suspension, so it just might be the safe thing to do. Also, you can choose a colour change in the process.

kinger said:
Did this break on the same side where you lost a revolver pin? Think that had anything to do with it?

It did break on the same side. The axle broke 2" from the side of the rail. I am starting to think that I may have had some indication that the axle was starting to fail that same ride I lost the revolver pin. The 2 idler wheels that mount to the same screws that holds that shock axle started to loose pieces of rubber. I couldn't understand why. I thought it might have been due to me playing with the track alignment but wasn't sure. I ordered 2 new wheels from AD Boivin and had them installed by the next weekend. I am wondering if the axle had been partly bent and cracked which caused the bottom of the rails to be pushed out. When I changed out the wheels I could not see any wear on the side of the sliders though. So I really don't know.

That last ride we had rode about 50 miles across a lake with 8" of snow with hard drifts. 25 miles there and 25 miles back. The way there it was warm so the snow was very wet. The next morning on the way back the snow was hard. The type of ride you curse the whole way. So this failure could just have happened over those last 50 miles. I am no light weight rider so if anyone was going to break that axle it would be me.

I am also running the heavy duty springs so that is putting extra force down on that axle.

As it stands now I am just waiting for the new axle and bushings to come in. After that I will put the skid back together as is. Once the Fall/Winter rolls around hopefully AD Boivin will have a pair of rails available.

Kevin

I also break this axle shaft for low shock

with similar breakdowns
for that ca not reproduce

ad boivin have produced for my of steel with bolts largest
12mm

I'm not a featherweight I ride very aggressive

I broke a 500 miles

I Went To 20,000 miles I never re-break

In those 3,000 miles did you blow through the shock often? I switched out to the steel shaft just to help prevent the brass bushing from wearing into the shaft. Although I am not so sure that it helped. You had to have been hitting that thing hard! I put 10,000 miles on each of the two separate aluminum shafts I have used and did not have a failure on either, just wear marks.

I must say I am very disappointed to hear you can not get a rail. If it was mid season I would be ticked! Plus who knows when they will have one ready for you. I have been very happy with the availability of their parts so far. Bolts, aluminum blocks, shafts, wheels, and even a replacement shock have been in stock and shipped quickly for me. You would think they would have a complete skid they could pull a rail off for you.

Although I can't say that I would replace the rail. You have some damage to where the slides run but these rails are large and durable.

Back