• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BROKEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Isthatahemi

Expert
So I pulled up to a gas pump saturday 165 miles into my ride, and fill er up. I turn the key to start and drive away, nothing!! After a bit of cursing, I pull out a rope from the trunk, wrap it around the primary clutch, and voila! The sled started third pull, hit the throttle, then stalled. Started with the rope, and I had to drive another 20 miles to get to my truck. No reverse, sled stalls......Try to start, starter goes zzzzzzing. Great, another starter. Two other guys helped me load the sled luckily....3900 miles and she's at the dealer again.

Last time (december) it was. I have no desire to try to fix it. It's warranty, and I have no solution to starters that randomly fail. Dealer has the sled already anyhow. I sure hope I can get 2 consecutive trouble free rides this year.

My starter has started to act up, I think its getting frozen though. Just turn the key and nothing, the lights on the dash dim a little. As if I take it inside, it'll start in a few minutes..
oh well when I get around to dropping it off at the dealer for the
updates, I'll have them look at it as well

Turns out Yamaha has acknowleged that there is a defect in the Phazer starting system, where the torque from the engine feeds back into the starter assembly, wrecking the starter. They are working on a fix at the factory level. This is ridiculous already!

Isnt the one-way bearing supposed to take care of that?Old Raptors had lots of issues with those.Anyone know if its accessible without a teardown?Some arent.

Nothing is too accessible on the phazer! 6.6 hrs flat rate so you are gonna have to take a few things apart to get to the starter gear.

Some V-Star bikes have had issues with the one way bearing also.

Isthatahemi said:
Turns out Yamaha has acknowleged that there is a defect in the Phazer starting system, where the torque from the engine feeds back into the starter assembly, wrecking the starter. They are working on a fix at the factory level. This is ridiculous already!

The tourque from the motor is causing the center stator section of the starter to move out of its proper index with the end assembly that contains the brushes. The green line on the center section must line up with the index marks on the ends. Usually the center section is fastened to the ends to prevent this from happening. On the Phazer, the center section is only held in place by the two long clamping bolts that hold the starter together.

All the electric start bikes ,quads and watercraft I own starters are held together same way as the phazers.Two long bolts,three pieces.Never had a issue.Who is putting them together?

When my Phazer would not start, I found the clamping bolts on the starter loose and the magnetic stator had shifted approx 30 degrees causing the starter to run backwards and draw ALOT of current.

I repositioned the stator and locktighted the clamping bolts, it is working well now.

They need to solve the torque feedback issue. The starter is the symptom, the problem is apparently the one way assembly. Yamaha should have probably used a bendix drive, its more reliable.

Back