• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken front arm in mono skid anyone??

mbarry,

If you dont ride real hard in the rough I imagine it will be fine. My sled has 4000 maniacal miles. I rip over all kinds of bumps. I hit them until it bottoms and then slow down. I pulled the skid apart in January for a cog bearing and it looked like world war 3 happened in there. All the welds were rusty, and 4 of the 6 idlers had smoked bearings and the left outside axle wheele fell off when I said how does that wheel feel........oops:) so I figured it would not make the entire season. I was right but it did not break on any welds???? I ran across a few 4 foot moguls and launched off one and landed on the face of another one. I think this is where I broke it. I did not see it until I got home. but it is broke on the left side and sagging to the right?? I hope not too much more it f'ed up too. Gotta slow down alittle in the next life:) We did do 600 trouble free miles in greenvill maine and all was well. Gotta love it up there. you can't go 100+ in new hampshire for 30 minutes straight and decellerate for 5 seconds and look down and still see triple digits. no 2 strokes could keep up that day, love my sled, just needs to be a little more beefed up. I was thinking of the new zx2 skid from ad-boivin.........when the shock snaps that is!!!! pay 1300 fo 1 ohlins NOT.

Ride on,
Jim

'06 Attak same mileage. Tore the track in half at a rallye last weekend. Upon closer inspection of the skid, I found the same. The crack is rusted so it's been broken for some time. Glad to hear I can weld it as the part is another $200.

hayastusa said:
'06 Attak same mileage. Tore the track in half at a rallye last weekend. Upon closer inspection of the skid, I found the same. The crack is rusted so it's been broken for some time. Glad to hear I can weld it as the part is another $200.

Yes you can weld it no problem. While your welding it, you can weld in some reinforcent as well. If you look at the '08 part versus the '06 part, they have added some reinforcement to the W arm.

Mine went two weeks ago at 9991 miles! Fixed under extended warranty. Pick it up next week for one more trip to Quebec. Not sure which part they put in...

Might not matter as I drove the 4Tec Doos yesterday and was quite impressed! Let's hope Yammy comes with something new tomorrow...

GW

I know from my motocross experience that faster is smoother but this Apex is just too heavy to skip across 4 ft mogels like I found in Tug Hill a few weeks ago.
I know Wayne... It's not an investment... But need to keep it in good shape for a new FPP stage "oh-my-god" turbo.

New Part# or updated part??

Well I got mine back from being fixed and the part# on the invoice is the 06 part#. The arm looks very well braced, but I don't have the old one to compare to.

Does anyone know if the 08 version is a new part# or did they just update the arm??

GW

Yeah I broke 2 this yr on 2 sleds. 1 was on my 05 RX that had less than 3K on it and one on my 03 with a bender Re-action upgrade with about 5K on the suspension.

Both use the stock front arm from the mono-shock and both were so badly damaged they could not be welded back together. On the 03 all 4 struts were completely torn out at the top and bottom along with the shock mounting ears. The 05 broke so violently it busted all 4 struts and the mount points at the tunnel bolts.

The replacement is easy the cost gets hard to swallow.

Re: New Part# or updated part??

gkw said:
Well I got mine back from being fixed and the part# on the invoice is the 06 part#. The arm looks very well braced, but I don't have the old one to compare to.

Does anyone know if the 08 version is a new part# or did they just update the arm??

GW

Yes it does have a different part# here are a few pics of a '08 pivot arm...

Mine broke pretty bad last year

After i welded it back up, it was fine

Attachments

• Big Arm 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Big Arm 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Big ARM (600 x 450).jpg
    Big ARM (600 x 450).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 104
Well, I tought I would make it to 15k miles, but my suspension did let go yesterday. Had to finish the last 100 miles by truck. Also I just notices one missing inside wheel + one of the outside wheel is jammed.
Not quite sure what I will do next, here trails are still 100% good.
For you picture lovers:

Attachments

• SSPX0162.jpg
    SSPX0162.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 116
  • SSPX0163.jpg
    SSPX0163.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 103
  • SSPX0164.jpg
    SSPX0164.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 111
  • SSPX0165.jpg
    SSPX0165.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 103
  • SSPX0166.jpg
    SSPX0166.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 114
  • SSPX0167.jpg
    SSPX0167.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 101
  • SSPX0169.jpg
    SSPX0169.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 104
  • SSPX0170.jpg
    SSPX0170.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 106
  • SSPX0171.jpg
    SSPX0171.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 101
WOW thats bad..

It didnt happen all of a sudden.. that has been happening to your parts for a while

Its a good idea to keep an eye on these parts and look for cracks or breaks in the metal..

Did find one crack before friday's trip. Had it fix! Checked all wheels and greased everything. At the 475 trip mark, I notice something was wrong. Saw one side front pivot broken. Since I was 175 miles away + the trail were in good shape, decided to limb back slowly. Did 85 miles before the other side gave up. I was sure that the track was not damage, but this morning did a full inspection and the track is damage many places. I'm now looking at ZX2 suspension. So far I welded this thing more than 6-7 times. I guess the Mono is not made strong enough for my kind of riding.

Also since yesterday, the starter is making an awful sound... Will have to check that too!

I thing will put a FOR SALE sign and move on but first I have to fix it.

Even though the ProActive CK is stronger than the monoshock, it too is no match for a Skidoo (I ride with REVs and REV-XPs and they don't break).

I've broken my front pivot arm twice, my rear pivot arm once and cracked two rails where the rear inner idler wheels are mounted with one bolt (Skidoo uses two bolts).

I do check the suspension very regularly so I've been able to weld the pieces back together and reinforce them each time.

Yamaha makes great engines and a very nice chassis to ride, but they really need to improve their suspensions. When I say improve their suspensions I also mean getting rid of the crappy plastic bushings in the front end as well as stronger pivot arms, better mounting of idler wheels (two bolts, not one) and of course well calibrated multi-stage shock valving.

If the competition can make suspensions that hold together and ride well, there is no reason Yamaha can't also.

Back