• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front skid shock lower bushing

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
Took my skid out yesterday to assess the damage from our 4-day saddlebag ride last year through Quebec. we ran into some of the worst conditions I have ever ridden in. I knew there was pre-mature wear on some parts but was unprepared for what I found on my lower shock.
1699712113637.png

I know these bushings wear quickly, but this is only 2200 miles. I do keep these bushings in stock for that reason.
Luckily, my shock avoided damage.
I got thinking about how to incorporate a grease fitting in that shaft without exposing it to damage. That lower shaft seems like it gets a lot of abuse from the track and any debris getting in there.
I then thought about going to a larger rubber bushing like on the older sleds but to do this would mean using a thinner shaft. I don't think a thinner shaft would be a good idea in this application as we are already bending the stock shaft.
My friend then said, " why don't you make a better one " Hmm, I do have some old oilite brass bushings and some brass stock I made some other bushings out of.
So I made one to test the fit.
1699712529019.png

1699712596436.png

My question is, has anyone else tried this material in this application? I know they are used in the front arms.
Does anyone sell a better bushing? I know Hygear sells a steel Teflon coated one, but I have not seen bronze one.
Will this bushing crack?
I will make another to tighter tolerances once my new shaft shows up.
I may buy a few of these already made from bronzebushings.com and size to fit the front arm also.

I run the hygear bushing and the steel shaft from barn of parts.

The bushing fron hygear needed to be reamed out some after installing in shock. Bushing had no damage from install either. Steel shaft would not go thru it.
Seems like the grease doesn't stay in their very long either.
What do you guys use to lube that bushing?
Your bushing your friend made should work well as long as it has lube.

i have baked my bushings with graphit on them, several coats. on steel shaft make sure you emry cloth it to a polishthen put a rubber o ring on either side between shock and spacer.

Your bushing your friend made should work well as long as it has lube.
I actually made it.
I will wait to make another to properly size the bushing to the new shaft.
I like the o-ring on either side idea. That may help keep some debris out of the bushing.
The bushing I posted above seems to be the most durable material.

That shaft needs to be replaced with the steel shaft used on Acat Cross Country sleds or the BOP shaft below. The stock part does not live well for too long. Also, the stock mounting bolts loosen and start to egg out the rails if you do watch them closely. The longer bolts on the BOP shaft work much better. I have replaced this shaft before ever riding my 22' Tcat.

1699794383362.png

already on order....

Fit O-rings one on each side compressed a bit. Thats all you can do. I like the rubber flexible bushing from a Firecat. They seal dirt out and so does the Orings. Once dirt get into there it may as well be sandpaper.

Fit O-rings one on each side compressed a bit. Thats all you can do. I like the rubber flexible bushing from a Firecat. They seal dirt out and so does the Orings. Once dirt get into there it may as well be sandpaper.
Running same rubber bushing.. Have 2 extra and still on first one from 2 seasons ago..

I ordered a few different styles of bushings, shapes and material.
I will lathe a few different ones out and see what looks best.

Can you tell I am bored, waiting for snow?????

I ordered a few different styles of bushings, shapes and material.
I will lathe a few different ones out and see what looks best.

Can you tell I am bored, waiting for snow?????
;)!Just hope its cold enough to KEEP the snow we get if and when..

Running same rubber bushing.. Have 2 extra and still on first one from 2 seasons ago..
I have flat washers that barely fit cross shaft. I shorten spacers a bit to allow them to push on washers which in turn compress orings that are on each side of shock eyelet. I also drill and tap a small grease zero into shock eyelet so I can grease it.

turbo flash does exactly same as i have done several times... with exception of the grease nipple, ... the spray graphit on the cross country steel shaft wrks great.... like i said just polish the shaft and put o ring either side and do a washer between the shortened spacer pipes.and o ring

Back