• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken supertips

punchtech

Veteran
I installed a ulmer clutch kit last year and love it, today one of the weights broke off near the heal and gouged my movable sheave, my question
is if I buy just the sheave thru yamaha, will I need to have it balanced,
or is it a straight bolt on, and if so does it need to be aligned? Is it possible
to weld the gouge in the damaged one?
Thanks, Phil

punchtech said:
I installed a ulmer clutch kit last year and love it, today one of the weights broke off near the heal and gouged my movable sheave, my question
is if I buy just the sheave thru yamaha, will I need to have it balanced,
or is it a straight bolt on, and if so does it need to be aligned? Is it possible
to weld the gouge in the damaged one?
Thanks, Phil
No its not much differant than when we buy an aftermarket speed sheeve and install it,they are fine,but you could take it to a machine shop and have them checck it out once you install the new sheeve just for piece of mind,i would not myself,but thats just me,now dont weld up the damaged sheeve. Good luck,have you found out why the ramp broke?

broken supertip

No, Can't find a reason for the tip to break, I will call Ulmer Monday
and see what he thinks, Can I pull the sheave off on the sled or
is there any press fit bushings I'll need to contend with?
Thanks, Phil

The sheaves are balanced individually. So a new one should work just fine.

I would not weld on a sheave. I had one fly apart in the early 70's and came out to take a chunk out of my helmet. I would not trust a welded one. Of course, back then we did not have shrouds on the clutches either. Too heavy for racing. ;-)

Back