• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bruin power

Octane

Pro
Hello all. I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure as to how much power the Bruin puts out.
Im guessing its around 18. The BearTracker makes about 12 so I figure thats a pretty good guess.
Im considering purchasing a Bruin soon but Im wondering if it has enough power for work.
I know of a lot of people who have bought Polaris 330s are havent been at all happy with the power.
I dont expect it to be at all like a sport quad. If it did 40 mph Id be happy.
However, I hope it has a fair amount of low-end torque so that you can at least use it for work.
Id like to use mine for light yard work and perhaps even for plowing snow in the winter. However, given the winters we've had lately, Im not sure Id be investing in a plow.
Tell me this, how easy is it for you to spin the tires on your Bruin when you are in 2-wheel-drive?
Thanks,
Hebi

I'm not sure about the Bruin but I had a 97 Big Bear and my fine young son used it tow his VW bus up our considerable driveway.

I know there is a lot of differences but a 350 is still a 350. Mine was manual but did'nt have low range.

Good luck

Yeah

Thats kind of what I was thinking too. Im guessing that its very similar to the engine that is used in the Warrior/Wolverine, which is no slouch in its own right. I know for a fact that a Wolverine will do 50 mph stock.
The other thing too, is you could just put smaller tires on it if you wanted a little more low-end grunt.
I once owned a Polaris 250 4x4 (250 2-stroke) and it had plenty of power for what I needed it to do. You would think for work that the Bruin would actually be a little better than my old 250 because of the fact that 4-strokes make more torque.
Hebi

The Bruin doesn't have the low range, I think they possibly change the gearing somewhat to compinsate.

I rode a 400 Kodiak and it seemed lower geared. Could of been my imagination.

If in doubt take a look at a little larger machine.

I should just ride on

I think I should just go and ride on and see. Ive read several reviews about the Bruin, and havent really heard them say anything bad about it.
One review said they didnt like that it didnt have a speedo, but what do you expect for a $5000 auto-tranny 4x4?
I give Yamaha credit, at least they give you an oil temp warning light, my '97 500 Scrambler didnt have a single warning light!
Hebi

I think the Bruin would be just fine for all around use. If you needed low range there could be a problem.

I am sure that a speedometer could be added, most of the speedo hookups come out of the engine and I bet this engine is the same as Wolverine or older Big Bears. Take a look. Ride it for sure.

Yamaha sells a speedometer kit for the bruin, it's the same one that's on the kodiak, but it's rather expensive. Accoring to my GPS my Bruin tops out at about 48 MPH.

hey hebi...buy anything? just bought my dad a bruin, and will give her a go around the farm this weekend. lots of logs to pull...steep hills, mud, brush and fun to test it on... promise an impartial review. :exc:

Nope, I didnt end up buying an ATV. I chanced upon a real nice '01 Polaris 600 XC EDGE X though. I really wanted a Yamaha SX 600R but I just wasnt able to find one that had under 10,000 miles on it.
Oh well, I figure I will ride this Polaris for 5 years and then get either an SX Viper or an RS Vector. One things for sure, I will be back on a Yamaha!
I was really torn on which ATV to get and I wasnt sure if I wanted a Bruin or a 350 Raptor. I have this rule that I try to stick with when it comes to buying things. If I have any doubt in my mind whatsoever, I dont buy it.
I wanted something that would be sporty and fun to ride. I think that both the Bruin and the 350 Raptor would be fun to ride, just in different environments.
It would have been really cool if I could have bought on of each. Heck, if I could afford to do that Id have an SX Viper, YFZ 450, R1 and a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road in my garage right now!
Thats not very realistic though...
So for now Im holding off on getting an ATV.
By the way, heres the sled I bought...
Hebi[/img]

Attachments

• chad's pictures 004.jpg
    chad's pictures 004.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5,152
Hebi,

I have a SX-R 600 with 2700 miles on it for sale if you're interested.

LOL you and everybody else, Ganz.
I appreciate the offer, but I must decline. Im going to ride this Polaris for 5 years and then Im going to get either an SX Viper or an RS Vector.
I know of a local Yamaha dealer that has a leftover '04 SX Venom that they want $5300 for.
The 600 SXr/SX Venom are both great sleds. However, to be honest they are slow in stock form. The 600 Yamahas put out around 105 hp, my 600 XC puts out 115. In reality, the 600 XC is superior in every respect except for quality. Polaris makes a good, dependable sleds that are pretty quick. Im not singing the blues by any means and I am very much looking foreward to the coming winter.
Hebi

Back