• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buddy stuck at camp - dead battery - help

The other problem is when it starts and stalls and the you re start it it assumes full rich cold condition, dumping more possibly bad fuel. It sounds like a lot of work but its not really. Maybe 10-15 minutes to pull the seat/tank/shrouds.

redrx1rkt said:
Is it a 10-15 min job if you've never done it before?

Probably not since you will be needing to look for plug/tubes to take off the first time but it is not a huge job.

sgilbert said:
dude, they are full of water. dont blame it on the dealer. block machine up to get a low corner in the tank, let sit, siphone from that corner

or just take off the tank and dump it out, its a a twenty minute job at most if you have never done it before and you are hammered while doing it. Much easier, I can have the tank off my sled in about 3 mins as i dont have the rear plastics around the seat anymore. Dump the gas out, while you have the tank off pull the plugs and burn the crap gas off them regap and put them back in, fresh gas, and a charged battery and I bet it will fire right up.

edit: or if hes a really lazy SOB and has some methyl hydrate at the camp dump her in slosh it around and try firing her again.

NFLD-Nytro said:
The nytro's battery is on the right hand side, just in front of and above the footwell. It's super easy to get at, and you will have no trouble boosting it.

There's also a strong possibility that it's not the battery that's dead, but the solenoid for the starter. The Nytro's are famous for that. If that's the issue you can replace it for about $35, but to get it in the garage you can just dross over the terminals with a screw driver or a pair of pliers and get it to start.

I actually removed the screen in the right hand side pod so that I can cross over the solenoid without going through the trouble of taking off the shroud and side-pod.

N-Nytro:
What's with the starter solenoid problem? My buddy's nytro died late last season while riding, and we figured the battery was finished. So got a new one installed last friday, brought to the dealer on monday for annual service and new battery dead too???

They said the starter solenoid was the culprit, but I don't really understand how it can drain the battery if the key is off. One of those CPU "features" i suppose.

Thanks,
OTM

Zakre said:
sgilbert said:
dude, they are full of water. dont blame it on the dealer. block machine up to get a low corner in the tank, let sit, siphone from that corner

or just take off the tank and dump it out, its a a twenty minute job at most if you have never done it before and you are hammered while doing it. Much easier, I can have the tank off my sled in about 3 mins as i dont have the rear plastics around the seat anymore. Dump the gas out, while you have the tank off pull the plugs and burn the crap gas off them regap and put them back in, fresh gas, and a charged battery and I bet it will fire right up.

edit: or if hes a really lazy SOB and has some methyl hydrate at the camp dump her in slosh it around and try firing her again.
most tanks have a no splash neck, that inhibits dumping fuel out entirely. I have a mighty vac/liquivac. like 2 gal. has a bendable copper wand. I clean the bottom of tanks all day everyday. getting the tank tilted to a low corner, the fuel pushes water/sediment to that corner. the vac has a clear line. scary what comes out of most tanks. people are incredibly irresponsible with storage

The starter solenoid gets moisture and corrodes...when you take it off it will probably be green ( should be pics on the site in the FAQ threar ) I'd be carefull trying to start it...pull that solenoid and take a look at it. Mine did exactly what you are describing...except mine got loaded up with fuel, had a very bad backfire which caused a very expensive chain reaction....cost me a new starter and everything to do with it, new rod and piston ( compressed a rod 8 thou ). Make sure to put dielectric grease on the new solenoid to avoid this again. You should also put dielectric grease on any electricle connection, fuse etc.

Well, the Vector is brand new and was on the showroom floor up until about three weeks ago, so I don't know how it could have had that much water in it. My guess is that whatever gas they put in it (it has about a 1/2 tank right now) was crappy. Both machines were serviced at the same time, and both more than likely had the same gas put into their tanks. Mine starts hard but does eventually run and idle after about five tries and backfires. I figure it starts and runs better than the Nytro because its new.

BTW he never did get the Nytro going. He ended up pushing it into the camp shop with his Ford Ranger. ;)!

sgilbert said:
Zakre said:
sgilbert said:

most tanks have a no splash neck, that inhibits dumping fuel out entirely. I have a mighty vac/liquivac. like 2 gal. has a bendable copper wand. I clean the bottom of tanks all day everyday. getting the tank tilted to a low corner, the fuel pushes water/sediment to that corner. the vac has a clear line. scary what comes out of most tanks. people are incredibly irresponsible with storage

the nytros "splash guard" comes right out if you take the cap off and grab it, just so you know. Its pretty useless and never stopped any splash back for me , just learned to be care filling the tank at the top for me.

/sidetrack

Why not start the one sled and pull the other one in or at least near the garage. Siphon out the bad gas and add new. When you do get it going add some gas line anti freeze so it mixes with the water thats left and burn it off.

Back