• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

Buncha southern weak-armed fence sitters, eh? Try going hunting, pulling a fully loaded qamutik (Eskimo sled) and go over 300 miles just to reach the hunting grounds, then tell me that you are tired...Just snowmobiling around is not tiring, that is just playing.

I get tired of such wimps who get tired from only two or three hours playing with their machines. The boys from Alaska, NWT, Northern Ontario, Labrador and Nunavut will understand that for us, there is no playing around while you are in food acquisition mode. Only after you have your country food, do we have any time to play...Sorry for the diatribe, but us Northern snowmobilers sometimes cannot understand southerners and their quirks.

RX-Eskimo

Trail riding couldnt get tiring for me. Mountain riding is easily tiring and most people understand that its a workout!

RX-Eskimo said:
Buncha southern weak-armed fence sitters, eh? Try going hunting, pulling a fully loaded qamutik (Eskimo sled) and go over 300 miles just to reach the hunting grounds, then tell me that you are tired...Just snowmobiling around is not tiring, that is just playing.

I get tired of such wimps who get tired from only two or three hours playing with their machines. The boys from Alaska, NWT, Northern Ontario, Labrador and Nunavut will understand that for us, there is no playing around while you are in food acquisition mode. Only after you have your country food, do we have any time to play...Sorry for the diatribe, but us Northern snowmobilers sometimes cannot understand southerners and their quirks.

RX-Eskimo

Dont read if youre tired about that and dont talk without knowing.

I have nothing to prove here, if you wanna use my post to cry about your conditions, its up to you, but we are talking about the conception of a mountain animal. Not hard flatland snow, 2 differents things. Yes its playing, but its not in a controled environnement, not in town, and get your RX-1 unstuck in 5 to 7 feets of snow 10 to 15 times a day, and you will understand my point. Not whinning, just giving my point of view.

On this , have a good day

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4689949

RX-Eskimo said:

RX-Eskimo

Huh?

We rode all weekend with 3 modded rx-tons and our new white one from LFM. His has alot of stuff done. Holz Front and back, Powder pros, and an apex seat. I got rid of the airbox, and relocated the battery before our ride. Everyone jumped on it, (even our Rev brotheren) and the concensus was that although it ran strong and the seat was a great height, the lack of rider forward was a major detriment to handling. I ran it up a few big, rutted hills and had the front end start darting back and forth uncontrollably. It was a situation I instantly recalled experiencing prior to moving steering forward. Boondocking was also tough. Trail riding was ok. But balance is wrong. This was with a tall pivoting riser tilted forward. It ain't the same. I guess if it didn't make a big difference they couldn't claim the Apex is a good handling machine when it weighs 100lbs more than our tons.

On people jumping ship....if you have done all the stuff on this post and still think you have a turd, I'll listen. If you're cuttng corners or are afraid of hacking into a fairing, then you got what you got. As far as all the talk of their Ton's wearing them out, all I can say is you don't have it set up right. I ride with guys on all the supposed feather weight sleds and always outlast'em. I'll come home with 15% more miles on my sled cause they were resting at the bottom or digging out while I was riding. They weigh 200+ lbs and are throwing around a supposed 445lb machine. I'm 135 and throwing around a ton. It's a good thing people are jumping ship cause we have three riding buddies currently looking for a good deal on a Ton with some work done to it. They just miised out on a good one on ebay. Not one of our current modded Ton riders has any interest in going back.

JMO

I got back from riding in Revelstoke BC. The snow there was deep & dry. 3 out of the 5 days riding we were limited by visibility from snow and fog and 1 day we couldn't even ride because of the snow!! I was riding my rx1 turbo but on low boost 6-8 lbs. I got my shovel out once because 99% of the time we were rolling our sleds over to get out. Most of the time I can roll my RX1 out myself as long as I'm not being stupid and fully trenching in. If you are naturally aspirated then you probably don't have much of a problem flooding when rolling or laying it on its side. I have some experience with mtn riding with 80% of it being on the rx1. The rx1 is a hoot to ride with a tall enough riser (mines only a 5"). I can't wait for my wildchild kit to come in.

Rider forward is the #1 mod. It has made a world of difference. Yes you must cut into the cowling and pivot risers suck.

Yes my sled wears the hell out of me but I think that is a good thing. If I had an lightweight 800R I would probably have a lot more energy as wrenching away in the parking lot takes less energy.

I weigh 117 right now and can easily out last our 220lb buddies on XR-S an 435lb revs when busting powder. I know im apearently not speaking for everyone but the Rx with he right mods are the easiest sled i have thrown around. Its gotta be the setup of the sled because if i can crank mine back up hill on a carve, so should everybody. Dont give up.

Post after post after post Guys say "It still doesn't work even after doing 3/4 of the mods". I put a riser on and a new seat and blah blah blah. If you don't do it all it ain't Sh!t. Guys just can't get their heads around cutting some crappy 20 dollar piece of plastic to make a whole new sled. I've said it before and I'll say it again nobody in their right mind wants a stock RX1 they are a POS. End of discussion. We're talking about sleds that are 5 model years now old worth like 3 grand now quit being wimps and cut them up. Better yet don't and sell one to me I need another one too.

Rx1M5

Rx1M5 said:
Post after post after post Guys say "It still doesn't work even after doing 3/4 of the mods". I put a riser on and a new seat and blah blah blah. If you don't do it all it ain't Sh!t. Guys just can't get their heads around cutting some crappy 20 dollar piece of plastic to make a whole new sled. I've said it before and I'll say it again nobody in their right mind wants a stock RX1 they are a POS. End of discussion. We're talking about sleds that are 5 model years now old worth like 3 grand now quit being wimps and cut them and up. Better yet don't and sell one to me I need another one too.

Rx1M5

Well said alllitle harsh but excllent post!

Bingo.

I've ridden with M7's, M8's, RT 1000's, 07 800 xrs, 06 800 rev with 159, king cats, and the 07 doo super sled with 200hp w/nos, over the past four days in bottomless powder and my sled (and son's) were uncontested highmarkers, period. Our weight helps, but the sleds rock. Number 7 will be done Friday and we're headed to McCall for a week. Took some video the past couple of days and will have to get it posted.

Kachess said:
Bingo.

I've ridden with M7's, M8's, RT 1000's, 07 800 xrs, 06 800 rev with 159, king cats, and the 07 doo super sled with 200hp w/nos, over the past four days in bottomless powder and my sled (and son's) were uncontested highmarkers, period. Our weight helps, but the sleds rock. Number 7 will be done Friday and we're headed to McCall for a week. Took some video the past couple of days and will have to get it posted.

So I'm sure with all the video you always take, you will have no problem showing us. Right? I find this really hard to believe! No offense.

Aaron

Back