• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

Kachess,
Thanks for the great pics on using the old tunnel extension to cover the hole. My mods (M7/162x16x2.3-2.52) exhaust/ Hartman ext. are almost done. Just waiting on a few parts. I'd post pics but.... well, it looks just like yours, Aarons, and Todds! Hmmmm. Thanks to you and the rest of the crew here for everything!

Winter kind of went away but suspect it will be back soon (like tomorrows 8-12" forecast)

Mark

BTW, I still have not installed those plastic dash parts I got from you last season, its on the agenda though :^)

Wow

Kachess, I can't believe how awesome this setup is. Looks like you have spent a ton of time figuring this stuff out. The best part is you have taken the time to share your info with others. From what I have seen that's what makes this site a success. I've had my RX1 for about a year and I’ve had it up for sale for a couple weeks. After reading this thread I have hope of making my RX1 a better ride. I would love to have this setup but I lack a couple of key things. The biggest one is the skill to perform the magic trick you have done on your sleds. Awesome setup!!! Thanks for posting the steps you have taken to make the RX1 a better sled.

I finished No.6 today. Took it out for a test drive and it ran like crap. Openned up the top or the carbs to see what springs it had (was originally from Wyoming) and found silver hotzmans, a little rubber o-ring missing in one carb, a little needle spring missing in one, and a needle washer missing in another. Put stock springs in it, replaced all the missing parts, buttoned it up and it ran fine. Decided to weigh it before putting gas in it and it came out at 527lbs + of - a pound on three weighings. After weighing it I relaized the belt cover/ spare belt wasn't on it. I think they are pretty close to 530 without gas. I'll have to take one to our local dealer and have him weigh it.

Attachments

• silver oil can  (600 x 450).jpg
    silver oil can (600 x 450).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 116
No.6 done and delivered. Total cost $6527.00 including $200 in diesel and a $55 hotel room traveling to Boise to pick it up. Had a great day of riding with No. 4 and 6. Awesome new snow. My son has strep throat so he stayed home with the camerawoman (his girlfriend). All sleds ran great. Even my submarine. I guess my buddy is off the hook.

Attachments

• 12-12-06 No.6 Ton done 002 (Small).jpg
    12-12-06 No.6 Ton done 002 (Small).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 235
Great to hear the sub is back to normal and that he is still your buddy!

Good lookin' sled Joel! Glad he's happy with it. Tell Ben to get well quick! That powder looks awesome!

Aaron

It's now going to be a "$6900" Mountain Animal". As everyone knows, and I now know, a longer track makes a big difference in climbing ability in the deep. I got some "head to head" climbing comparisons this weekend, on video, and will try to post them. 151 vs 159 on the same sled. In pretty deep snow and real steep stuff we were beating up on a piped king cat (162) and 06 and 07 rev's. It used to be we were riding right with them and could take tougher lines. Now we were blowing up stuff that they had to turn out on. Everywhere we went we had a crowd of guys wanting to look at the turbos (they obviously had never seen a turbo climb), and walking away wanting to look for an 03 RX1. My neighbor, a lifelong skidoo fan took my sled for a run and gave up plans to buy a new Rev.

Add to the parts list a 159X15X2 1/8 series 4 polaris track, Tracks USA, 398 including shipping, and Holz 141/151 rail extensions, $29, Both items are on special now!

Attachments

• 01-22-07 Joel's Sled longtracked 001 (Small).jpg
    01-22-07 Joel's Sled longtracked 001 (Small).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 207
Kachess,

How much of the himark to you contribute to rider skills? ex: your son seems like a very experienced rider and at 125 lbs he has a big advantage over somebody like me (210 lbs and less experience)

Joel, unless things change after Yamaha releases the 08 sleds next month, you have given me enough hope to keep my 03 at least another season.

It's great to hear how well your sleds are running.

I am still thinking a 159 x 16 (keeps 2.52" pitch extroverts) is the direction I might go unless you tell me the 07 Summit (Challenger Lite) tracks aren't so hot.

Frosty

I have had an RX-1 that was fully modded with all of these mods for a year and a half. You're right it rocked!! BUT, it's so heavy that I just sold it and bought a '06 M7 and I now realize that the RX-1 just made me a better rider!! This M7 rocks more! It is so much lighter, throws around so much easier, floats 10 times better, and the nice thing.........all the money I will save NOT having to mod it at all, can go into a new one every couple years! Who keeps sleds more than 2-3 years anyways? Really! $2500 dollars in mods goes a long way towards oil for a sled that does what it's suppose to do stock! Good sleds and to each their own, but they are heavy in bottomless powder!

Aaron

Attachments

• New Sled.JPG
    New Sled.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Old Sled.jpg
    Old Sled.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 205
AaronBND said:
Funny...I have had an RX-1 that was fully modded with all of these mods for a year and a half. You're right it rocked!! BUT, it's so heavy that I just sold it and bought a '06 M7 and I now realize that the RX-1 just made me a better rider!! This M7 rocks more! It is so much lighter, throws around so much easier, floats 10 times better, and the nice thing.........all the money I will save NOT having to mod it at all, can go into a new one every couple years! Who keeps sleds more than 2-3 years anyways? Really! $2500 dollars in mods goes a long way towards oil for a sled that does what it's suppose too!

Aaron

That's a nice way to highjack a thread. I thought this was "Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal" :o|

J.

Not trying to hijack the thread! Just saying what I have said all along. I love the RX-1 for the engine and the reliability, but you have to look real hard at your riding style. When you are all mountains and bottomless powder I honestly don't feel like it's the right sled for your situation. Look at all you have to do to it to make it work in the steep and deep? I know another very active member on here that just went another way also. I have always been Yamaha with motorcycles and been totally happy. This thing weighs 478lbs. Huge difference on the snow! Not saying one thing bad about the Yammi's, just not right for me, Just my opinion.

Aaron

I know you had a very nice running RX-1. I guess I was just in a bad mood last night when I read this and for some reason it got under my skin. I usually don't reply to stuff like this but again, for some reason it got under my skin. I am glad you like your new M7. Hopefully you will get many years of enjoyment out of it.
The only problem is we can't help you if anything goes wrong. ;)!

J.

We have many RX-1's going up for sale around here for the $3500 range. I just missed one a few days ago by a couple hours in Seattle that the guy let go for $2800. It only had 900 miles on it! Was on Craigslist. My plan is to just be patient and find a really good deal on one maybe this summer and then turbo it. I would love to have the option of a M7 for bottomless days and a turboed RX for the other days. Don't worry, I won't leave you guys! You guys are awesome.....

Aaron

Back