• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Building a $6500 4-stroke mountain animal

Personally I do not care if it does or does not highmark this sled or that sled. This is one of the best threads on this site or any other site.

With over 8,000 views just shows what Joel has done is priceless. I thank and applaud you Joel. The time and information that you have shared with us has helped many, myself include.

Do not let some doubters ruin your thread, you are better than that. Keep up the good work! – YaMon.

No. 7 mostly done and headed to McCall. Still may get a different seat and tunnel extension. The seat is a great height, comfortable, but a little porky (anyone want to buy it). The tunnel extension does'nt flare into the floor board like the MPI and Hartman, so I'm a little worried about durability. Oh yea, and I'm swapping the skiis for a black pair (no offense LFM).

Attachments

• 03-02-07 White sled mostly done 003 (Small).jpg
    03-02-07 White sled mostly done 003 (Small).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 150
Kachess, I'm interested in the seat, send me a PM with how much you have to have for it. I decided to go with a barkbuster front end on our Vector Mtn project sled, sorry for not getting back to you on the lightweight a-arms you had for sale! You've done a great job with the 1-tons don't let anyone else tell you otherwise! Last season we did an Attak (stock 42" ski stance & 136" track) and put a 151" in it as well as the narrow ski stance and it will keep up with any other "stock" mtn sled out there through the deep or up the hill!

Kachess said:
No. 7 mostly done and headed to McCall. Still may get a different seat and tunnel extension. The seat is a great height, comfortable, but a little porky (anyone want to buy it). The tunnel extension does'nt flare into the floor board like the MPI and Hartman, so I'm a little worried about durability. Oh yea, and I'm swapping the skiis for a black pair (no offense LFM).

None taken. I got a great deal on them so I tolerated the yellow. I wanted black but the yellow were 1/2 price of black... Post some more photos of what you've done to the sled, I would love to see them.

NOT A GOOD DAY. Rode with my son, his buddy with a 07 REV, Ton no. 4, spray and wife, and silverstreak(?) and wife, today in McCall, Id. Long story, short. No. 4 Ton broke off his steering post at my weld while climbing. My sled over heated trying to tow him back. I thought it was lack of cooling snow (although I've never had a problem) and while trying to tow too fast flipped No. 4 with my son on it. Son OK, and No. 4 sled mostly OK, but realize my sled is loosing water and is SUPER hot. A rubber elbo at the left, front, bottom of motor is cut and dripping at the clamp. We cool down my sled, replace water, and I limp back 15 miles to the trailer. Seems to run OK, but sure got hot (6900 miles on sled). No. 4 gets towed by a REV#@%* the rest of the way back. After returning to our condo I get a call from spray who we had left up in the mountains to ride with his friends. We had done a homemade "rider foward" mod on his sled a couple of nights earlier. He informs me that his steering column broke at the weld while descending a hill. Fortunately he and his sled are ok. Seven sleds with the mod, never had one break before, broke two in a day. We surely got a problem, and will be pulling apart the others to rework them. Conclusion: butt welding the steering post to lengthen it post is no good...(I'm sure many of you could have told me that)...need something that goes inside the tube to allow more weld penetration. To be really safe; buy wildchild's kit, the MPI 2in longer steering post, or equivalent. Ugh!

hey there , great thread. I just noticed after your last post something came to mind . Ihave the rear heat exchanger installed on the stock tunnel and either i missed something in a previous post or does the new tunnel extension accept the heat exchanger. do you think this would pose aproblem as to adding an existing exchanger?

Other than Aaron and SoCo's slithering side bites, this thread is the best for RX-1ton owners, who do not care about weight.:die

Their comments highlight the difference between a sport rider and a work rider. We ride our machines upwards of nine months a year, and you wonder why I sometimes have a problem with people, who after one ride, complain about small issues. :moon:

I have used some of the changes, but since we do not have bottomless powder up here, I have not bothered with all of the light weight changes as per Kachess. In any event, this is extremely helpful and thanks for all of your input into RX-1ton massaging, Kachess. :4STroke:

RX_E

RX-Eskimo said:
Other than Aaron and SoCo's slithering side bites, this thread is the best for RX-1ton owners, who do not care about weight.:die

Their comments highlight the difference between a sport rider and a work rider. We ride our machines upwards of nine months a year, and you wonder why I sometimes have a problem with people, who after one ride, complain about small issues. :moon:

I have used some of the changes, but since we do not have bottomless powder up here, I have not bothered with all of the light weight changes as per Kachess. In any event, this is extremely helpful and thanks for all of your input into RX-1ton massaging, Kachess. :4STroke:

RX_E

HUH???

#1 - I think this thread is awesome!

#2 - I think all Kachess' upgrades are very worthwhile!

#3 - I am nothing but a mountain, deep-powder sportsrider who had all of these upgrades!

Hence the good discussion!

*ONE MORE TIME for those that don't get it YET!!! The Yamahas are great sleds! I just feel it didn't fit MY riding style! Just my opinion. I never was trying to slam anybody or anything! Just expressing my opinion.

Aaron

Kachess - Thanks for a great post, I'm sure you will come up with a fix to the steering column problem :)

I do not ride steep and deep cause we do not have any of that around here, our mountains are steep but snow is hardpacked everywhere caused by cold weather and heavy winds, but the rider forward still applies in our riding conditions. I may as well do the rider forward mod, I have a PowerMadd pivot with 4" riser block and it helped a lot but I feel it could be much better moving the steering column forward.

Can you please post more pics of the steering column mod? Thanks rxrider

Kachess, do you have any new updates to your mod list for the upcoming 07-08 riding season? I just went through the list again and I'm amazed at how much you have done for everyone.

When you buy a new sled. I want to find out what you buy and get the same thing!

I know you say the mods must be done as a set to most effective. I completely understand the reasoning behind this but, is it possible to keep the headlight pod when doing the rider forward mod if a short windshield is used? Those of us who ride a fair amount of trails need it for the wind protection and stock strength lighting for night rides.

Take it easy

Frosty

actually i am not kachess but a freind and the one thing i can think of would be to find a different rear skid because holz stop making them and the one i found is in the newest copy of sledheads called K-mod suspension it cost about 800-900 and i don't know how it would transfer but it looks like the same design

Frostbite said:
Kachess, do you have any new updates to your mod list for the upcoming 07-08 riding season? I just went through the list again and I'm amazed at how much you have done for everyone.

When you buy a new sled. I want to find out what you buy and get the same thing!

I know you say the mods must be done as a set to most effective. I completely understand the reasoning behind this but, is it possible to keep the headlight pod when doing the rider forward mod if a short windshield is used? Those of us who ride a fair amount of trails need it for the wind protection and stock strength lighting for night rides.

Take it easy

Frosty

I am in the same boat. Actually Frosty and I might do the mod at the same time but want to keep the headlights and most of the windshield if at all possible. Has anyone done this?

J

Back