• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bulkhead Reinforcement?

Hi,
On my first (and now last) ride of the season (I'm only home for one week in the winter due to college), my Apex's bulkhead became a victim of my agressive riding style. After fumbling around on Google a bit I happened upon a video of one "Barn of Parts Bulkhead Reinforcement Kit".
Does anyone have experience with this kit or know how to contact this "barn of parts". I've tried googling them without luck. My game plan for fixing my sled is getting it welded by a reputable welder and then adding this kit to both sides (if I can find their contact info and they are still in business). I'm not thrilled with welding it but I can't say I'm pumped about the structural integrity of the stock bulkhead either.
My sled is an 07 rtx with ~2500mi on it. I didn't hit anything specific, I just ride it like it is the "rough trail extreme" sled Yam markets it as. I love the sled and intend on fixing it and keeping it for a long time. Whether this be by the means of welding or replacing the bulkhead, I want to reinforce it. I have plans to do a lot of riding once I'm out of college and I can't be replacing bulkheads every 2500mi.
Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine should be here next week, and I am looking forward to installing it, especially after reading apexrtxmaniac's post!

This is something I never considered before as I am just a trail rider, but it will be nice knowing I have it installed just in case?

BTW, Travis is a great guy to deal with, and is very knowledgable/helpful should an issue or problem arise? ;)!

really suprised how easy these are breaking for some guys. I popped a gaurd rail at 60 mph that was hidden under the snow. Tore my ski and ripped my cooler. I was nervous about the bulkhead but all is well. Just lucky I guess

It so happens that I had a helmet cam on that night. I believe I captured the waterbar that did the bulkhead in. I definitely hit it harder than I intended to but I didn't once think it would be hard enough to do damage. The handling never changed but at the end of this trail it appeared as if the throttle side spindle was at a bit of an angle so I decided to take a look up front which is when I found the ear was ripped off.

I think the first waterbar in this clip was the culprit:
[video width=600 height=400]http://www.youtube.com/v/xkhMnWNlKAE[/video]

A repair kit for my sled and a saver kit for my dad's vector are on their way. I'll post some photos of the install when I put them on.

Wow, that did not seem so bad. You must have hit it at just the right... I mean wrong... angle. I have hit deep washouts, ditches, holes, etc. at high speeds that had me practically doing handstands on the handlebars and have never damaged my bulkhead. I guess that I have just been lucky.

That sucks. I feel your pain. I thought I took out the bulkhead on my wifes attack today but I was extremly lucky. Sorta. Hit a rock dead on and bent back the cooler at the front of the tunnel about 1.5". It is just bent and not leaking so I will finish off the season and change it this summer. First thing I thought of when I hit the rock was Travis's bulkhead saver. It makes me mad because I just replaced the mid bulkhead last year. :o| :o| :o|

apexrtxmaniac said:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. The bolt on kit is a huge relief. The thought of replacing the bulkhead or stripping it down for welding was eating me up.

Your kits are shipping out tomorrow via priority mail. ;)!

Blue Dave said:
Wow, that did not seem so bad. You must have hit it at just the right... I mean wrong... angle. I have hit deep washouts, ditches, holes, etc. at high speeds that had me practically doing handstands on the handlebars and have never damaged my bulkhead. I guess that I have just been lucky.

that ^

I pounded the apex through stuff like that video for hours at a time (especially with the low-snow conditions we have had the last two years). Does this kit prevent damage, or is it for use after damage has already happened?

DigitalFusion said:
Blue Dave said:

that ^

I pounded the apex through stuff like that video for hours at a time (especially with the low-snow conditions we have had the last two years). Does this kit prevent damage, or is it for use after damage has already happened?

It can be used for both.

I purchased mine for a preventative measure however and hope to have it installed tomorrow ;)!

Edit: Bulk head saver kit video/info
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=114419

DigitalFusion said:
Blue Dave said:

that ^

Just edited my post above as I thought it was for preventative measures only but was informed it can be used for both.

I purchased mine as a preventative damage safeguard.

There are two completely different kits. One is for prevention and the other is for repair.

Back