• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bulkhead

My sway bar link also took an impact and cracked the bulkhead. For me to do the repair and was around $550 and about two weekends. That included a new bulkhead half, 13mm sway bar, ulmers bushing kit and all oem rivets. Not a hard job, but time consuming.

Where on here is the post of it actually being done? I saw it one day and now I can't find it. I'm doing mine as well but, I've got a friend who is gonna look at it that is a very, and I mean very good ali welder. He builds aluminum chip trailers. Seems very interested in taking on this challange. Can the cast aluminum bulk heads be welded? and if so, can he reinforce it somehow? I'll post what he figures and maybe start a new thread of him doing it. I hit a rock as well and gotta do major work now. Starting from the outside in, I need, Right side ski, shock, tie rod and both A arms and then the bulkhead bolt hole tore out of the bulk head and the rear hole got egg shaped from the bolt leverage when it hit. On the left side, I just need A arms. I'm gonna go with a Timbersled, barkbuster front end. I just got new gen 2 skis and new piggy back shocks comming. (both found on this site used, so new to me) Ok, I'm done ranting. Damn thing.

THKSNOW said:
Before filing a claim or fixing it yourself, I'd at least get a dealer estimate. If it's 75%+ of the value of the sled the insurance co may total it. You'd get a check minus the $500 and then buy the sled back and fix it. You'd be $'s in the pocket ahead.
Thats the way i would do it,then go out and buy 2011 model,fix bulkhead in the WARM coming months>you can take your time cause your out of season< ;)!

My wrench fixed it, changed the oil and greased the chasis for $425. Took him 7.5 hours. It was the first time he has torn my Apex apart this far. I picked up a used bulkhead from Al's Salvage in VT for $150. So a total of $675. I guess it could have been worse.

Back