• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying a used Phazer

snowracer1000

Extreme
I am getting ready to buy a used phazer it's an 08 with 49 miles on it. I am real good friends with the guy who traded it. I know the sled as been taken care of. What are some of the issues with the phazer i can start looking for. no the 49 mi is not a typo

The model type really makes a difference. Not so much with durability issues but how much you may end up putting in the sled after a few years. Take a look at the front shocks, are they Fox? If so, the sled is likely an RTX, this would be your best choice. The shocks on other models may or may not be rebuildable or " take-a-part" as some northerners call them. The rebuildables are worth it, as you can have the shocks valved to your weight and style, this is a must do for most all Yamaha's. For what ever reason there stock shock valving leaves a bit to be desired. The rear shocks on the RTX are adjustable so you can play around with knobs and ussually find something that works. Then at the end of the season, figure out what all of the settings are, determine what you want to improve discuss this with the shock builder and send them out. If the shocks are non rebuildables, plan on replacing them within a year or two. This will set you back anywhere from a few hundred for nice used ones to over a grand for new high perf.

Other than that the sleds are basically the same for 08'. Sorry for the dissertation, but shock packages are very critical, at least to me.

It is a base model i ended up paying 3400 minus my trade. The only reason I got it that cheap. I saved the life of the owner of the dealer ship a few years ago so he made me a good deal. I think as far as shocks go I will let her ride it a year and make sure she likes it if she has issues then i will play with them. I am very familiar with the different shock setups. I have had Fox, GYTR, and these. I obviously cant speak for these but we will see after a season. I think i need to start looking at a fan if this doesn't have it i will investigate tonight.

Ask dealer if all factory updates are done.Otherwise take a close look at the serial number.There should be some dots punched above some of the numbers.If so most factory updates are done.Look over the wiring harness.Was a bulletin on a grounds connector.Wouldnt hurt to dielectric grease all connections. Starter bolts is other issue that I would consider being proactive on.Other than those it doesnt really pay to worry about anything else since the way the sled is ridden and conditions will vary hugely.Some people break stuff and some dont.

Back