• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

buying across the border

pat the rat

Lifetime Member
my brother is looking into buying a used sled in michigan,being from ontario,he's not sure actually how its done and what you have to pay,anyone gone thru this from ontario,is it worth it or not

Search-search-search-search...been covered umpteen kazillion times. if you serch import you will be reading for 2 months. been covered to death & back!

I have brought back a Goldwing summer of 06 and an 06 Apex August this year. It is a piece of cake. If you type in RIV (Registar of Import Vehicles) on the internet it will tell you everything you need to know.

1) Purchase sled
2) Fax the title or if in state with no title bill of sale to the US side of the border crossing you plan to bring it back. This must be done at least 72 hours before you cross
3) When you cross Canada Customs will fill out a Form (I think form #3) and they will charge you GST.
4) You will have to fax RIV a clearance letter. The reason they want this is to state the vehicle has no outstanding safety recalls. If you purchase from a dealer they can type in the ser # and print the history of the sled which will state it has no recalls. If you purchased privately go to a dealer and they will print one out for you. You also can call Yamaha and they will send you one.
5) Once RIV approves the clearance letter you go on-line pay $206 and they will e-mail you another form (I think form #1)
6) Take that form and the sled to Canadian Tire. They look at it, make sure it has a kill switch, stamp the form and you can go and register it.

Done

Smokey said:
I have brought back a Goldwing summer of 06 and an 06 Apex August this year. It is a piece of cake. If you type in RIV (Registar of Import Vehicles) on the internet it will tell you everything you need to know.

1) Purchase sled
2) Fax the title or if in state with no title bill of sale to the US side of the border crossing you plan to bring it back. This must be done at least 72 hours before you cross
3) When you cross Canada Customs will fill out a Form (I think form #3) and they will charge you GST.
4) You will have to fax RIV a clearance letter. The reason they want this is to state the vehicle has no outstanding safety recalls. If you purchase from a dealer they can type in the ser # and print the history of the sled which will state it has no recalls. If you purchased privately go to a dealer and they will print one out for you. You also can call Yamaha and they will send you one.
5) Once RIV approves the clearance letter you go on-line pay $206 and they will e-mail you another form (I think form #1)
6) Take that form and the sled to Canadian Tire. They look at it, make sure it has a kill switch, stamp the form and you can go and register it.

Done
I thought there was a tax because it is made off shore

Daranello said:
Skip sted #2 not needed for snowmobiles and ATV's...

I've imported 5 Apex's, 3 RZR's and 1 Outlander....never gave any notice!

Careful about skipping step two. I know someone who was turned away because of no notice at the border. May depend on the crossing and the mood of the US custom agent. Play it safe and fax them a copy.

NOT GIVING 72 HOURS NOTICE VIA FAX ??

I read on one site that you don't have to send the copy's to the US side of the Border crossing in advance and Canada customs don't care.

The problem is that by ignoring them the vehicle isn't properly "EXPORTED" via Us Customs standards.

No problem until that same vehicle tries going back into the States and gets caught

I've heard of fines up to $60,000 for doing this

Just what I've read and heard

Smokey said:
Daranello said:
Skip sted #2 not needed for snowmobiles and ATV's...

I've imported 5 Apex's, 3 RZR's and 1 Outlander....never gave any notice!

Careful about skipping step two. I know someone who was turned away because of no notice at the border. May depend on the crossing and the mood of the US custom agent. Play it safe and fax them a copy.

When you come into Canada, you don't see a US Custom agent....think back to the last time you enter Canada you only talk to canadians.....

Back