• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying new Yamaha, but can't decide - Apex GT or Apex LTX GT

long track..

my wifes attack 136 is wicked..better in the rough trails and also when you let go of the gas..the track has less chance of locking up from the compresstion of the sleds motor..friend has a 121 yammie and he tried my wifes and said the same..you really see the difference when there is some powder on the trails...the short one skids more when letting go of the gas .. even with studs.

I am also looking at a Apex LTX what is the gearing on the Attack(LTX)?? I have shorty now but cooked the motor after I took out the front exchanger.

Gotta Ride said:
Tirebuster said:
I had '04 Warrior (long track) '06 RTX (short track). Went back to long as you can see. Never going short again. I use the semi-rigid saddlebags from Yamaha. They have a lot of room and never move but I find that there is always a significant amount of build up of snow/ice on the bottom at the end of the day. Another good storage option is a bag that Yamaha sells that goes in the nose of the sled. It's a great place to keep booster cables,tow strap,oil....

Thanks. I'll look into that bag. :Rockon:

Does anyone have a pic of this bag in the nose of the sled???? Looks like a good option.

whitedust1 said:
Long track hooks up better & bridges those ungroomed fire roads much better than shorty. 108 studs down center will do as much as 144 & less mass. So much 150hp grunt that all the studs in the world won't hook up shorty. Sport bags are nice to have to store stuff. I prefer Bergstrom 8" triples with skisavers & shims to any dooly. Either sled is a good sled but 136 better for me.

Any suggestions of a stud pattern? For either 108 or 144?

An Apex LTX would be a good choice for Canadian trails. I have my '07 Attak GT valved stiffer with a stiffer spring and it performs quite well in the nasty stuff and off-trail but it could use a longer sneaker for the real deep stuff. Having the compression & rebound damping is very handy.

Gotta Ride said:
whitedust1 said:
Long track hooks up better & bridges those ungroomed fire roads much better than shorty. 108 studs down center will do as much as 144 & less mass. So much 150hp grunt that all the studs in the world won't hook up shorty. Sport bags are nice to have to store stuff. I prefer Bergstrom 8" triples with skisavers & shims to any dooly. Either sled is a good sled but 136 better for me.

Woodys recommends 162 down the middle and has a template for it. I did what they said and the studs have been good all winter. One important note is you will have to add to the protectors covering the cooler or the studs will grind it up. You have to get the protection to about 1 1/4 in. or more. Taper it down to the rear of the upper wheels as any further then that the track will rub.

Works good for me. I've bottomed it good this winter and no scrapes.

CaptCaper said:
Gotta Ride said:
whitedust1 said:

Woodys recommends 162 down the middle and has a template for it. I did what they said and the studs have been good all winter. One important note is you will have to add to the protectors covering the cooler or the studs will grind it up. You have to get the protection to about 1 1/4 in. or more. Taper it down to the rear of the upper wheels as any further then that the track will rub.

Works good for me. I've bottomed it good this winter and no scrapes.

Thanks. I'll looking into that protection for the cooler. My buddy told me a story this week saying that every thing happened to him last year and killed the rest of his season.

long track forsure.
nose bag, windshield bag & tank bag from yamaha all good.
many options on saddle bags, i went with a cheaper type from "gears" they work great, price is right & waterproof !.
i would advise snow trackers for on stock skis before spending money on any other carbides or skis.
enjoy.

Back