• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bypass Grip Warmer code

trackhead

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX1
I bought a 2003 RX1 only for the engine for a ground up DIY snowcat build. Engine is incorporated into snowcaty working great but have the grip warmer flashing light. I'm using all the electronics stock from the snowmobile, including headlights, etc.

I obviously don't need grip heaters in a snowcat. I've got the two flashing lights on the panel indicating they are out. Any ideas how to bypass this?

Thanks in advance. I've learned a lot on this forum about this engine even though I'm using it for non-traditional uses.

This was taken from a different post relating to the same question. Gotta love ole @Rockmeister

Have helped a few people with the Code 81 & 82 clearing in non-sled applications.
As stated prior, codes 81 & 82 have nothing whatsoever to do with how the engine runs, they only affect the Grips/Thumb.

1) Temporarily set up a connection for the DOWN switch for the Handwarmer Grips (and then the Thumb). (You can do this with 2 wires)
2) Start the engine and immediately QUICKLY keep connecting AND disconnecting the DOWN setting.
Do this in rapid succession.
You only have a second or 2 to enter a few button presses before the ECU senses an open and sets the Code 81 or 82.
3) Shutoff engine & repeat step 2.
You may get none or only get 1 button press entered each engine start, so you may have to do this many times to get the setting to ZERO bars. (Depends on how fast you are. lol)
Once you are at ZERO Bars, the ECU will stop checking for the Grips/Thumb and won't set the Code 81/82 any longer.
Whatever setting you last used for the Grips/Thumb, including ZERO, the ECU will remember this setting for the next start, so it is permanent.
This eliminates any need for any type of dummy load etc.
4) Repeat this with the Thumb.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

So if I still have the switch controllers from stock configuration I can use that wiring, but just interrupt that circuit over and over again basically?

I have no idea how you figured out that solution, but thanks. I'll try it. Going to take an extra set of hands.

I cannot take credit for figuring this out as I had mentioend previously that this was taken from another post where Rock provided the answer I had pasted into this post. He's the one that sells the Yamahaheaters (fix for Yamaha handwarmers being supplied full power at lower RPMs) so it did not surprise me to see him figure this out. And yes, if you have the switch controllers, I believe you can use them vs wiring in switch as most builders who use these engines pretty much only have the engine itself.

Back