• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

C&A Pro Ski Users

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Interested in what people are using for a carbide:

Those with shaper bars, were you able to adjust the heavy steering out of the handling? or does it always steer heavy on the front? Would a round bar soften it up or leave you wanting grip?

I have experience with:
-slim jims with 6" carbide
-shaper bar with 6" carbide
-bergstrom triple point with 6" carbide
(each one has its plus/minus)

Searching for the holy grail of carbides.
MS

I have the C&A XPT's with 9"shaper and its not the easiest to steer even with a properly adjusted suspension.

Will have to look at SlimJims I don't remember seeing that option.

Which C&A are you using? Probably going to get $#it for this but if you are worried about "easy steering" you should probably be looking at different skis. The C&A's are generally geared toward grabbing the snow not to "easy steer" around a corner . Sounds like you want to take an "aggressive" ski, then take away the "aggressiveness". The C&A's have long keel designs ( more length of keel in front and rear of spindle ) and also varying keel lengths and depth depending on model of C&A. The deeper and longer the keel the better cornering and handling and least "push" at speed, BUT the harder steering. Long story short, My choice of carbide is always the C&A deuce. You do lose the penetration of a single carbide, but being the deuce is almost as wide as the keel you do not "round off" the squareness of the bottom edge of the keel. When the bottom "squareness" rounds off, the round starts acting like a ramp and lifts the ski. 100% opposite of what you want for aggressive handling.
006.JPG

One word...Snotrackers!

On the C&A's?

My riding buddy has them on his Cat and while great on snow they are so annoying when trying to load in the trailer or in the garage etc. But small price to pay I guess.

I put them on my Curves to be honest, but, I've ridden mine with Curves, Thundercat stock skis, Sidewinder with stock skis and the snotrackers just plain work! Three different skis and sleds and no darting. I went semi-aggressive due to the Curves being a deep keel like your C/A's. I actually put more pressure on the front! Turn easy. I have no problems loading and unloading thanks to wheels I use.

I agree Snowtrackers are the answer. I had good luck with slim jims as well but they would wear the front edge out to quickly and become harder to steer. Snowtrackers took care of the issue and are very easy to turn.

Interested in what people are using for a carbide:

Those with shaper bars, were you able to adjust the heavy steering out of the handling? or does it always steer heavy on the front? Would a round bar soften it up or leave you wanting grip?

I have experience with:
-slim jims with 6" carbide
-shaper bar with 6" carbide
-bergstrom triple point with 6" carbide
(each one has its plus/minus)

Searching for the holy grail of carbides.
MS

I have razors with 6" Shaper bar. I have tuned the steering to be comfortable by playing with front shock in very small increments. Front end springs are as loose as I can run it.

I had 9" shapers on my razors with 160lb spring from cannondale, they were still hard to steer at times but worked ok in soft corners.
Switched to sno trackers semi aggressive, night and day better! I would not say they are perfect, but steering is light and predictable.

I had C & A skis with 6" shaper bars on my winder last year... Hated them.. Could never get them dialed in right. Switched to Mohawks with bergstrom triple points for this year and LOVE them!

The Slim Jims seem to do it all, lighter steering, predictable push - but in some snow conditions they are a bear. I gotta believe there is more to be had out this ski. Running my buddies sled with the Bergstrom triple points opened my eyes a bit - they seemed to handle deeper mushy snow better vs the slim jim, but were far from stellar.

Anyone run a round bar with 6-8" carbides.

And are the Snowtrackers really that good. No push in the corners?

On a side note - I notice the Slims are way harder on fuel than a single carbide (round or shaper). Difference over a long haul of 150 k was like 2 litres. That's a lot considering we ran tanks right to the edge a few times last week in northern QC.
MS

The Slim Jims seem to do it all, lighter steering, predictable push - but in some snow conditions they are a bear. I gotta believe there is more to be had out this ski. Running my buddies sled with the Bergstrom triple points opened my eyes a bit - they seemed to handle deeper mushy snow better vs the slim jim, but were far from stellar.

Anyone run a round bar with 6-8" carbides.

And are the Snowtrackers really that good. No push in the corners?

On a side note - I notice the Slims are way harder on fuel than a single carbide (round or shaper). Difference over a long haul of 150 k was like 2 litres. That's a lot considering we ran tanks right to the edge a few times last week in northern QC.
MS

Yes, Snowtrackers are that good!

I run them on my Doo single keel 5.7race skis on my winder. Still original set of carbides! Correctors have been replaced onece. Well over 10,000 miles on them! Started with them on my old 2009 1200 Doos. Don't think I'll ever wear them out! No darting, no push and easy steering. Get Aggressives!

Running Double Downs on Curves this year. Much better than slim Jim’s

Back