• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Calling all Trades People

staggs65

Staff member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
76 exciter, 87 phazer, 89 bravo, 00 srx x3, 01 srx, 02/04 viper, 06 ape
I’m creating this thread to be informative. I hope this will help some members who are looking to better themselves and educate members on what’s the norm in various trades in various areas. This is not a dick measuring contest, this is not to argue politics or union vs non union. If it heads down any of those paths I will shut it down immediately as I recognize the potential for it to go that way. Hopefully we can all be adults and keep it from going that way.

I don’t know how this is in Canada right now but I know in the US there is a shortage of young people getting into trade related fields To replace our aging and retiring workforce.

I’ve been a member of the United Association of pipe fitters and plumbers for 23 years. I started my apprenticeship in Local 783 Winthrop Maine in 1995. In the late 90s they merged the 3 locals in Maine into 1 local (716). I remained a member of that local until August of this year when I transferred into Local 773 Glenn’s Falls New York. The UA covers pipefitters, plumbers, pipewelders, HVAC techs, etc...

In general the trades unions will set the wage for the various trades in an area. We negotiate with our contractors for what is known as “scale”. Scale is the base rate the contractor has to pay per hour into your paycheck. All benefits (pensions, money purchase retirement, health and welfare, etc) are above and beyond the scale. The scale is usually a reflection of the area so generally a pipefitter living in a lower paying area lives the same as a pipefitter living in a higher paying area. Not always, but in most cases. The non union contractors in each area will usually have a pay rate equal to and sometimes higher than the union scale in any given area. Usually if there is any difference at all it’s in the benefits package.

Most trade union’s packages can be found with a simple google search. Knowing the package of the union in your area let’s you know if you’re getting a fair deal. Joining one insures you’re getting a fair deal. For young people just venturing into the workplace getting into an apprenticeship program will teach you a life long skill that can keep you employed through life with respectable wages without a college degree. Lets face it, college isn’t for everyone.

So hopefully we can use this thread to let each other know of opportunities out there in various trades across our regions.

Last edited:

Good spiel l!
32 year Ironworker local 721 Toronto. General Erection Superindent for a US contractor for the last 9 years. Currently installing many mw’s of wind power in Iowa. We need young people desperately.

Good spiel l!
32 year Ironworker local 721 Toronto. General Erection Superindent for a US contractor for the last 9 years. Currently installing many mw’s of wind power in Iowa. We need young people desperately.
Nice!! I have been in the Supervision side as well for the last few years. I work for a company that specializes in high purity piping in Semiconductor, Pharmaceutical, Solar, and other fields requiring specialized piping processes. We’re currently doing a job for Proctor & Gamble in Ohio. Hoping to get back to the Northeast for sled season.

Local 633 Cement Masons (finishers) and Plasters Minnesota 18+ Years... in my area Union is much safer and pay is higher by about 20~40% started as a 0 hour apprentice... never had seen concrete before my first day and worked my way up to foreman of large scale commercial work... @staggs65 is correct when he says there is a shortage in qualified and/or young construction workers... I’ve actually taken my OSHA certifications so I can teach OSHA 10 & 30 in construction... I did this because I feel we all should work safe and with so many uninformed people coming into the trades I think I can help them see how to think and work safe...

The one thing I loved about my trade is all the extra time in the winter months I got off because of the weather and cold... bet you all can guess what what I did with my free time between December and March

:brrr::letsnow::carbs::sled1::sled2::beer::winter:

There is a enormous shortage of young people every where in the trades. It has to start with education. It has to mean the return of Vo-Tech programs. It has start with parents accepting that some kids( maybe their own---GASP!!!) are not cut out for or WANT to go to secondary school. The Vo-Tech schools have to shed their reputation of being for screw-ups or jack-offs. Some college diplomas aren't worth crap. Some kids will be saddled with unpayable debt with a degree that will never allow them to get ahead.
I have had this conversation before with people in my area. There will be a few smart young people who will corner the market in the building trades and then be able to set the prices in the area. All the old masons, plumbers, electricians etc. are going away.
I have a friend who is the Superintendent for the largest Vo-Tech school in Mass. You want to get someone going on this subject, he is your man

I’m creating this thread to be informative. I hope this will help some members who are looking to better themselves and educate members on what’s the norm in various trades in various areas. This is not a dick measuring contest, this is not to argue politics or union vs non union. If it heads down any of those paths I will shut it down immediately as I recognize the potential for it to go that way. Hopefully we can all be adults and keep it from going that way.

I don’t know how this is in Canada right now but I know in the US there is a shortage of young people getting into trade related fields To replace our aging and retiring workforce.

I’ve been a member of the United Association of pipe fitters and plumbers for 23 years. I started my apprenticeship in Local 783 Winthrop Maine in 1995. In the late 90s they merged the 3 locals in Maine into 1 local (716). I remained a member of that local until August of this year when I transferred into Local 773 Glenn’s Falls New York. The UA covers pipefitters, plumbers, pipewelders, HVAC techs, etc...

In general the trades unions will set the wage for the various trades in an area. We negotiate with our contractors for what is known as “scale”. Scale is the base rate the contractor has to pay per hour into your paycheck. All benefits (pensions, money purchase retirement, health and welfare, etc) are above and beyond the scale. The scale is usually a reflection of the area so generally a pipefitter living in a lower paying area lives the same as a pipefitter living in a higher paying area. Not always, but in most cases. The non union contractors in each area will usually have a pay rate equal to and sometimes higher than the union scale in any given area. Usually if there is any difference at all it’s in the benefits package.

Most trade union’s packages can be found with a simple google search. Knowing the package of the union in your area let’s you know if you’re getting a fair deal. Joining one insures you’re getting a fair deal. For young people just venturing into the workplace getting into an apprenticeship program will teach you a life long skill that can keep you employed through life with respectable wages without a college degree. Lets face it, college isn’t for everyone.

So hopefully we can use this thread to let each other know of opportunities out there in various trades across our regions.
Wow, great idea! I was a ge apprentice in 73..lol....and then toolmaker, laid off, back, supervision....retired. I had some good fitters working for me from Hvac background, and a 2nd shift mechanic ( maintenance) who tried to get the machinist apprentice program going again, but ge has fallen on hard times in Power. Glenns Falls...cool! I'm near Howe Caverns. 2 2nd shift guys did quit and headed to Washington state to work for Boeing. Before any more layoffs. But you are absolutely right....learn a trade and you will do well....part of the downfall in Schenectady is that all the skilled help left and they started hiring mandatory college people.. for hourly manufacturing jobs. But without a background of getting your hands dirty and learning how things are made, well, it didn't work out so well. And the guys left that can diagnose and actually repair or make stuff, get all the work!
A skilled fitter, like other journeyman tradespeople, are worth thier weight in gold.

Union Millwright for 39+ years. 16 out of Millwright Local 2158 Bettendorf Ia. The last 24 at Chrysler in Belvidere Il. I wholeheartedly agree that we as a nation are in dire need of young people that want to work with their hands. I'm a Journeyman. Just as professional as any college educated Doctor, Lawyer, or Engineer. Our youth need to be exposed to skilled trades, and in a positive way . No shame in what we do. WE built this Nation. My livelihood has allowed my wife to choose to be a stay at home Mom. Raise 9 children. I would LOVE to give some of my hard earned knowledge and experience to a younger person, the same way it was given to me !

I may not be considered a tradesman anymore but that's how my work life started. I went to a trade school to learn mechanical drafting but found myself taking extra classes for machining and sheet metal fab. I started working in a machine shop running a press break and programming a laser cutter. The shop needed someone with my design experience and I was the guy to fill that spot. I worked as a mechanical drafter for 2 years before I was promoted to a project manager as the company grew. Then the company fell on hard times and I was laid off. I then found a company looking to train an engineer that had a drafting /CAD designing background and now I'm here. I learned all my knowledge from a trades school. I have told many people that trades are just as important as "professional jobs" if not more important. I believe that its our educations fault for the lack of young trades people. I say that because when I was in high school they preached and preached if we didn't going to a 4 year university that we weren't going anywhere in life so there were very few people like me that stayed home and went to a tech school.

I may not be considered a tradesman anymore but that's how my work life started. I went to a trade school to learn mechanical drafting but found myself taking extra classes for machining and sheet metal fab. I started working in a machine shop running a press break and programming a laser cutter. The shop needed someone with my design experience and I was the guy to fill that spot. I worked as a mechanical drafter for 2 years before I was promoted to a project manager as the company grew. Then the company fell on hard times and I was laid off. I then found a company looking to train an engineer that had a drafting /CAD designing background and now I'm here. I learned all my knowledge from a trades school. I have told many people that trades are just as important as "professional jobs" if not more important. I believe that its our educations fault for the lack of young trades people. I say that because when I was in high school they preached and preached if we didn't going to a 4 year university that we weren't going anywhere in life so there were very few people like me that stayed home and went to a tech school.
I agree. No offense to any doctors, but we weren't 'practicing steamfitting', or 'practicing toolmaking, machining, drafting, construction'...etc.
Doctors practice medicine...LOL!

well here in canada, you can join a union at any of the shops that have them. i have worked in an non union shop for my entire career as a registered tradesman in the automotive feild and heavy truck, with more time on heavy truck. i do not mind teaching the young guys how to do all the tricks and jobs i have done over the years. the ones that retain and apply what they have learned are the ones you enjoy working with.

and yes, we are experiancing a shortage for the trades as well. even guy that are barely marginal at their jobs have no problems finding them. all the good ones are getting hired out from the shops that trained them as all the larger companys are not willing to train them when they start out as all there adds are for 2+ years experiance.

well here in canada, you can join a union at any of the shops that have them. i have worked in an non union shop for my entire career as a registered tradesman in the automotive feild and heavy truck, with more time on heavy truck. i do not mind teaching the young guys how to do all the tricks and jobs i have done over the years. the ones that retain and apply what they have learned are the ones you enjoy working with.

and yes, we are experiancing a shortage for the trades as well. even guy that are barely marginal at their jobs have no problems finding them. all the good ones are getting hired out from the shops that trained them as all the larger companys are not willing to train them when they start out as all there adds are for 2+ years experiance.
I was a pilot for years, I worked at the bread factory I'd pile the bread from the pallot to the shelf down in goslow

Union Carpenter in NH Local 349 35 years and work in Boston. I'm in it for the bennies and of coarse the $$$

Western Canadian IBEW power line technician 28 years in. Money and benefits are good. Getting harder to find worthy new men. Trainable ones are one thing, getting them to come out 3:00 AM when the lights go out in -30 is quite another. Our fully qualified Journeyman rate is a touch over $48.00/hour. Every 3rd Friday off. Overtime is double. Eventually get up to 6 weeks vacation. Looking a for a few good men.

21 years in laborers local 563. Pay and benefits are great. We definitely need younger generation to get into the trades.

Back