• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement (3 cylinder engine 05-07)

oldchaintensioner_zps9f94cb65.jpg

Last edited:

noflipside said:
Sleds idles great and am surprised at the lack of noise,

I'm still trying to figure out what the noise is. My clutch rattles so loud I can't hear anything else. I have taken a stethoscope and placed it all over the chain tensioner and valve train and only hear a smooth "whoosing" sound, no clicks or rattles.

Hey, I just picked up a minty 05 Vector Mountain and was just wondering if its possible to see the dot on the tensioner with the valve cover removed? Also have a borescope I can use if need be. Have no history on the sled and don't feel like ripping things apart if its already updated. Thanks!

Hey, I just picked up a minty 05 Vector Mountain and was just wondering if its possible to see the dot on the tensioner with the valve cover removed? Also have a borescope I can use if need be. Have no history on the sled and don't feel like ripping things apart if its already updated. Thanks!

You don't need to remove the valve cover! All you need is a extendable mirror and a flashlight and look on the right side back of the motor! Locate tensioner and the mark is on the bottom! Orange is old blue is updated part!

You don't need to remove the valve cover! All you need is a extendable mirror and a flashlight and look on the right side back of the motor! Locate tensioner and the mark is on the bottom! Orange is old blue is updated part!
Great! Thanks for the quick reply!

The dot is difficult to see but using a mirror and good light you should be able to identify the tensioner. I've had to wash down the area with parts cleaner when dirty but usually it can been seen without taking anything apart.

Last edited:
I'll be using a borescope. Should be able to see it just got the sled a couple days ago and storing it at buddy's acridge so I haven't have had much chance to actually give it a good look other than the initial purchase check over. Thanks for the help guys.

Guess I was lucky, Yamaha/dealer did change the tensioners on my two 06 Rage's. I asked dealer if he was doing it or if Yamaha was covering it. He just said not to worry.
For that reason I snow checked a new Viper.

Hi, I'm totally new to the forum..however I have just experienced some bad luck..and had no idea of the Cam Chain Tension problem or anything..and now I have a completely dead sled awaiting a $4000 repair bill. I didn't hear anything funny..(to my ear anyway), nor did I know to listen for it specifically. The two dealers I talked with, the one I bought the sled from used in 09, and the dealer I dropped it off at near my cabin..both gave me no indicator that they knew anything about it either..as I described going down the trail as if nothing was wrong..shut off the engine, and try to start it up, and nothing but grinding. They seemed shocked that the Vector engine was having any troubles at a low 2300KM. So the dealer I took it to, yanked the engine to see if the starter was malfunctioning somehow, then found out it was ok..and proceeding to look into the timing chain.
The dealer who I dropped it off with, now claims that there was recall, after the fact, on the cam chain tensioner, and that when they punched in the S/N for my sled, nothing comes up as being "not done or complete" in regards to any bulletins or notices..The dealer I bought it from, said, it was not done, and that would have just been a tech advisory or bulletin, that would inform them of things if a noisy cam chain issue came in. I am now in the process of finding out what colour dot is on the tensioner, before I'll understand if it was done at one point or not???

Short of that..was there a legitimate bulletin that is numbered for reference at all, as to what actions were supposed to take place here? I bought the sled used at about 2 years old with 1300 km on it..and ran perfectly for 4 seasons..until this past Feb.
Are Canadian dealers helping fix this problem due to a bulletin that Yamaha is standing behind, or is just being done dealer by dealer, at their own customer service discretion?? My bill on the sled so far is $1000, as it sits in pieces..and I"m weighing out whether or not to walk away from it as the dealer is willing to scrap my bill and keep my sled for parts..or pay the $4000 and rebuild it and have a "$4000" book value sled on my hands.

Any thoughts or direction on any leg I have to stand on, in getting Yamaha help me out with this bill? Or am I simply out of luck , and shopping for something else. This whole situation, has just disappointed me greatly. I have been a very loyal Yamaha fan for 20 years..and I still believe they make a great product..but what is happening here, that I feel so ripped off..

Thanks for listening..I realize this is a long post..just frustrated.

Why would your bill be $1000. It should take no more than a couple hours to diagnose a bad starter or a timing issue. Even if I pulled the engine to remove the starter (which is not necessary) I could have it out on the floor in 2 hrs. Unfortunately, this was not a recall and very few people have gotten any help from Yamaha. I've heard of a few dealers helping out their customers by doing a tensioner replacement at a reduced fee but most have either ignored the problem or have done the work themselves. If your engine is destroyed it probably would be cheaper to find a used engine.

Why would your bill be $1000. It should take no more than a couple hours to diagnose a bad starter or a timing issue. Even if I pulled the engine to remove the starter (which is not necessary) I could have it out on the floor in 2 hrs. Unfortunately, this was not a recall and very few people have gotten any help from Yamaha. I've heard of a few dealers helping out their customers by doing a tensioner replacement at a reduced fee but most have either ignored the problem or have done the work themselves. If your engine is destroyed it probably would be cheaper to find a used engine.
Hey grizztracks..Thanks for the quick reply. The $1000 bill so far, is still a bit of a mystery as I have not seen the sled yet, nor got fine detail as to what they have done. I do know that the engine is out and in a tub/bucket. and how far beyond that they have went, I'm not sure. It does seem excessive. So I did get the info that I needed here..which was, is there something legitimate that Yamaha stands behind or not in a situation like this. It sounds like no. I am still going to find out if the part has an orange dot, or a blue dot on it..just for curiosity. It does seem a bit odd, on Yamaha's part to colour code the part as to label them, "good" or "bad", and still not call it a recall. I at least know better where I stand. Still disappointing is all..I've raved over and over about how reliable the Yamaha four strokes are, and mine didn't make it past 2300KM. Thx again grizztracks.

Kirk, I had the same dial with sled. I had more miles on it but was never notified. Yamaha will do nothing. I bought the sled for long engine mileage.
My dial turn into night mare. If you decide on used engine get some kind of Guarantee. Give me a call for details if would like. You will end up putting more
money in the sled than it's worth.

I've seen these sleds for sale with low miles for under $3000. Last year I did two cam tensioner replacements for local guys. One sled had 800 miles and the other around 1500 miles and both were purchased used for under $3000 so be careful how much you put back into it.

Thx for all the guidance and advice.

I know this an old thread but I wanted to thank you for the information and the pictures. I replaced mine this wknd. Couldn't or wouldn't have tried it without this info

If anyone has found a good Yamaha service center doing this in the Wisconsin Dane County area I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

Back