• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Canadians & battery

Sometimes no name companies need to drive sales with a good price point.
It could very well utilize the same tech.
Battery claims 600cca @ $170us.
Maybe it's just something to consider?

The cells that make up the lithium batteries are not all equal. To start off with, they come in grades with the better grade cells going to the bigger or volume marketers. Lots of guys out there marketing sub-premium grade cells, you can even buy them raw and make your own batteries. I bought off-brand for the boat but that is because they are not the primary propulsion. A cheap battery on a sled is not something I would consider seriously.

The primary advantage of the ETZ14c is the discharge circuit which is bypassed on the BMS. All LifePo4 batteries will warm up the instant you try to use them, typically 10c from baseline. Earthx has made the decision that the battery is not going to stay cold long because as soon as you start trying to use the battery under high draw it will quickly warm up. But any lifepo4 battery can be restored to full operations by simply using it or actively warming it up.

I do not understand how the BMS can kill a voltage regulator. When the sled is running, and if the BMS cold protection charging circuit is engaged, it is shunting current to heat to minimize the current the cells are exposed to. It does not add load to do this, the load is already there (the equivalent to the internal resistance of the batteries). On discharge, during startup the voltage regulator is not engaged at all.

When it gets cold enough on a battery that has BMS that shuts down at a certain temp, the rectifier blows on our sled. Its happen to a few guys here that had batteries that had cold shutdown on it including my buddy when he went north. He called me from the trail when it happened. I had just read on here that a guy had it happen to him when he tried a NOCO battery in the cold and it got down to the point where it shut off. My friend happened to try a different lightweight battery that found out the hard way it had cold shutdown protection built into the BMS.

Mike, I see, they offer the Shorai #24. Is there any fitment issues?
Price went up a bit.....$269.
View attachment 173883

Most lightweights have pads or shims that get used to install. If you shop around on the internet enough you can find most batteries at far lesser costs it seems, all except the EarthX it seems anyway.

Funny I contacted NOCO to see if there was anything that could be done to prevent the cold shutdown in their BMS and they were not even interested in discussing it. Just that it cant be done. The NOCO is a great battery for summer, I just wouldn't use it in a snowmobile or anything for the cold weather. Thats why I use the Shorai, its proven to me to work well in the cold on the Winder. EarthX would be good too from the sounds of things, just not sure why they are sooooo expensive and you can't get any deals at all on them.

Funny I contacted NOCO to see if there was anything that could be done to prevent the cold shutdown in their BMS and they were not even interested in discussing it. Just that it cant be done. The NOCO is a great battery for summer, I just wouldn't use it in a snowmobile or anything for the cold weather. Thats why I use the Shorai, its proven to me to work well in the cold on the Winder. EarthX would be good too from the sounds of things, just not sure why they are sooooo expensive and you can't get any deals at all on them.
I posted the Shorai is now the same price. $269

Never had an issue with Earth X starting my Cat turbo. Believe mine is the 36D model. This has been discussed many times about the BMS on earth x .

Never had an issue with Earth X starting my Cat turbo. Believe mine is the 36D model. This has been discussed many times about the BMS on earth x .
You're right! I'm thankful for earthling's specific analysis of current battery tech. And KnappAttack's knowledge & experience. Both proved key view points & updates in the ever changing battery technology.
What's worked yesterday, doesn't Necessarily mean it works today. New and/or improved produce happens all the time.
Thanks NYTurbo.....I ordered the Earth X based on its very specific cold weather tech.

Last edited:
You're right! I'm thankful for earthling's specific analysis of current battery tech. And KnappAttack's knowledge & experience. Both proved key view points & updates in the ever changing battery technology.
What's worked yesterday, doesn't Necessarily mean it works today. New and/or improved produce happens all the time.
Thanks NYTurbo.....I ordered the Earth X based on its very specific cold weather tech.

Good choice!

Hopefully no one else get bit by the Lightweight batteries with cold weather BMS shutdown on them.....

Good choice!

Hopefully no one else get bit by the Lightweight batteries with cold weather BMS shutdown on them.....
I understand that all the lithium ion batteries have a BMS system. Just wasn't knowledgeable enough to understand the difference.
Thanks!
I don't mind taking a chance or risk on lessor product that's not going to put me at risk. Like a lawn mower, etc. Lol.

Seeing how’s mentioned lawnmowers .lol

My zero turn has a lithium battery in it and I start it during the winter every now and then on nicer days and it always shocks me how well it turns over

Seeing how’s mentioned lawnmowers .lol

My zero turn has a lithium battery in it and I start it during the winter every now and then on nicer days and it always shocks me how well it turns over
I put one in Radzilla a few years back. Haven't touched it or skipped a beat.
I know what you're thinking...lol.
Stock 54mph (gps)
Mod 70mph (gps) stock bore & stroke.
IMG_20200310_105335529_HDR_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone try BRS batteries? Canadian company.
10 year warranty. not prorated.
I put one in a sled for a friend last year. I really haven't had any other experience but will consider them for my next battery. I think my DRZ is going to need one next year.

Back