• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cannot figure out Coolant Leak

HydrogenCyanide

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha RS Nytro
2006 Yamaha Apex
I have noticed after riding my sled is getting warm and loosing coolant. Put sled on lift today to try to figure out. This is a 2014 Viper. I can't see where the coolant is leaking from but for the life of my I cannot figure where exactly the leak is. Its dripping from directly under the clutch but not from any of the connectors. Any ideas. All of the visible clamps appear to be tight and I do not see anything leaking from there either. It seems to be coming directly from the bottom.

Please see video of leak. Any ideas? I am at a loss...

Last edited:

I had one last month leaking in this general area and it was one of the welds cracking on the heat exchanger. We removed and changed out with a good used one.

I had one last month leaking in this general area and it was one of the welds cracking on the heat exchanger. We removed and changed out with a good used one.
How big of a job was this? What needs to be removed from the sled to be able to change the heat exchanger. I have a feeling it could be coming from one of the welds as well.

Thanks

Common problem on these Vipers. My brother just had his start leaking on our last trip for the second time in the past 3 years. Dealer repaired both times. First one he was still under warranty....thankfully.

Yes, big job. A lot has to come apart.
I would use the Yamaha Japan rivets when replacing instead of the lower quality Cat rivets.

Doing a track change on my nephews 14, tore it apart last week, it hung all week waiting for new track, arrive yesterday morning to install new track only to find coolant on the floor where these heat exchangers like to crack. Sure enough, cracked on that weld. The hardest part now is finding one...back ordered.

I brought it into a shop and they are saying it is the heat exchanger. They've quoted me $1470 USD to change out the heat exchanger. Does this seem right?

Also, anyone know of a guide on how to do this if I were to attempt to tackle myself?

They've quoted me $1470 USD
I don't think so, my brother paid $1800. but had both clutch side bearings replaced and some welding on the header for that price. If you become a VIP member TY will send you a PDF of the service manual for your sled. That will help you out some. It's a big job. Just bought the heat exchanger from Port Yamaha for my nephew, it was like $348. plus rivets, tax and shipping.

I too had a exchanger leaking on my 16 7000. It was leaking on the top left corner, on the track side. Not where it was welded, but it was cracked ever so slightly. Cat had them back ordered, I found a Yamaha one through Partzilla for a very good price. Also bought the Yamaha rivets. It's quite a job. I did it in different days, as I was waiting for the UPS man to bring it to me. You would be hard pressed to get it done in less than 10 hours. Seat, tank, exhaust pipe, inner and outer chain case, skid frame, both shafts, caliper, rotor. Have to prop up the engine, as the rear motor mounts bolt into the exchanger. Be gentle lining them back up. Better have an air riveter, angle drill, lots of patience

Last edited:
I just watched hydrogens video, exactly where mine was dripping from, and only at 140 degrees and up. under that temp, it wouldn't leak.

Watch that pipe behind the primary clutch that comes from the heat exchanger and up to the rad, I had 2 Vipers that the pipe was rubbing on the frame and were almost worn right through.

Back