• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can't get power to my Nytro

SilentSno

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha FX Nytro MTX
Ok, so I started to install a tether, and was checking its operation before splicing wires.

In the wiring harness, I found the 2 wire connector for the kill switch, i pulled it apart and was testing the tether wires just inserted into the connector.

First off I found out I might have the wrong tether style, normally open rather than normally closed, even though my dealer said it can be wired both ways, not sure how?

But when messing with the wires in there i could get the sled to power up when i would remove the tether, with it in it would be off (how i was able to tell it was a normally open).

So I decide to give up and re hook up the regular kill switch and call it a night.

But now the sled won't come on at all. Key on, Kill Switch Up, nothing.

I'm pretty sure I checked all the fuses, there are 3 near the oil tank, and all appeared fine.

Any suggestions?

Hey Sno

I am in the same situation sort of. I am trying to hook-up a tehtered kill switch and can't figure out which wire off the run/stop switch is the best to splice into. From what i have found out, you do need a normally closed kill switch whcih work with ignition style systems.
The little i know about electricity a normally open switch works by grounding the magnito and eliminnating the spark where as a normally closed kill switch works by opening the circuit and eliminating the spark that way. I think if you hook up the normally open switch you would basically be shorting out the electrical system which usually blows fuses

I would double check your fuses to see if any are blown and i would also recheck your reconnected wires to make sure they have a good connection. I have started a thread in the electircal forum about how to install a kiil switch properly. I am hoping someone will know whcih wires you need to splice into. If someone help me out i will pass along what i find out.

do a search from the short track section. allen ulmer (srxspec) did a write up inc pics last year for tether install. i used his method and it works on both our mtx's. ski

I've seen ulmer's thread, its good to closed loop tether install.

I'm more concerned about just getting my sled running, then I'll worry about the tether again.

I can't believe I forgot all the real main fuses by the brake caliper. I bet my blown fuse is in there.

Are you sure you didn't cross the wires when you hooked it back up?

woodsrider said:
Are you sure you didn't cross the wires when you hooked it back up?

No I never cut or spliced any wires, it was just re-hooking up the plug.

It was just a fuse. The Ignition fuse in the main fuse box near the Brake Caliper. :-o

Thanks, but thats for a "normally closed" setup. My tether is normally open.

Will be getting more details how its done tomorrow.

you need a closed tether to complete the run curcit on a yamaha. an open will only work when the tether is disconnected.

This is a way to run it, its just wired differently, as compared to a 'closed' tether.

Back