• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

cant start up

blades

Extreme
Hello everyone, was wondering if any of you can please help out with this problem that just came about. I took the grizz out on last weekend for about 2 hours or so loaded up came home and when I went to start her up to take off the truck and into the garage she would not start for some reason. well at the time I did not think much of it because I was thinking that maybe i flooded or something stupid like that when I was loading it on to the truck after I was finished riding that day so I just pushed it into the garage and did not think about it again. well today 6-23-06 I was trying to get it started and it just keeps tying to turn but it does not seem to be getting spark or gas one or the other. I have been trying now for around an hour and nothing! when I push the start button it just keeps trying to start so I give it gas and it seem to sound a little different (mabe i just never noticed that sound before) can anyone out there help with this? how can you tell if gas is working or if the spark is working, can this warm wet weather have anything to do with it ? I mean its wierd that one miniute i was riding and now one week later it wont start, this has never happened befor and i have been told so many bad storys of dealerships just voiding out warrentys for just about anything i'm really nervous about taking it to the shop, first thing their going to say is "your warrenty is voided" you got it wet or dirty or something and of course I have the extra warrenty that I purchased when I got the grizz. anyway any Ideas? please help if you can , I am trying to go out this sunday with some friends and would like to make the trip if at all possible, I hope its something that someone out there has been through before and can advise me. :o|

First off, you really shouldn't be afraid to take it to your dealer. While the net is full of horor stories about voided warranties and such, they are really the exception. People just never seem to write about their good dealer experiences because the problem is fixed and they go on their merry way.

That being said, did you turn off the gas when you put the machine on the trailer? If you did, did you turn it back on when you got home? I've done that and scratched my head for a while until :o| .

If you didn't turn off the gas when trailering there's a possibility that fuel pumped through the carb and flooded your engine. A sticky carb float will contribute to this one.

Another possibility if you use ethanol blend fuel is the carb is gummed up. These carbs will burn ethanol blend just fine but the shelf life seems to be quite short and the carb tends to get gummed up if it sits for any length of time.

If you can get it started without having to pull and clean the carb you might want to add some fuel conditioner like "Seafoam" or equivalent to help clean out the carb passages.

Otherwise, that's as far as I can take you as that's been my experience.

I did leave the gas in the on position, but as far as the gas goes I put some 93 oct as I always do. I am going to get some seafoam and see if that does the trick I am also going to change the plug. It just doesnt make sence, this thing is a beast...I have never had one problem with it . I hope in the end it something real simple that did not cause any damage to the machine. Anyway thanks for your quick reply on this.

Blades

After my reply post to you I rolled it out from the garage this morning and turned the key and started and if fired up (with choke) . I was happy a stood there looking at it smiling and walked away after 40 sec or so to let it warm up and then it shut off and I am right back where I started it will not start. does that give you any better Idea what It may be? anyone!!! Anyway Im going to wait a few hours again take the air filter (K&N) OFF AND SEE IF MAYBE ITS JUST FLOODED let some air get to it.

Oh YEA i FOR GOT TO ASK... WHAT IS SEAFOAM AND WHERE CAN i GET SOME AND IF NOT SEAFOAM WHAT WOULD BE A SECOND CHOICE THAT MAY WORK?

THANKS!

thats what Im thinking, its wierd the way it started today for those few seconds now it will not start.

put a new NGK plug and still same problem its almost as if its not getting any gas, you would think buy now I would at least smell a little from trying to start it for the last few hours. Do these things have fuel pumps?

:Rockon: Had a starting problem similiar to yours with my 4 day old grizzly and it was the vent tube from the gas tank. It was pinched off under the handbars causing a vacuum on the fuel tank.(kids pulled out and put back wrong) would not do anything untill I un-pinched the hose.

where is this tube located? maybe its the same problem, hell I looked at everthing else . If I cat get it running be monday I going to have to drop it off at the dealership and let them have there way with it.

:o| man I wish I was good with this kind of stuff!!

Seafoam, Chemtool, STP, pretty much anything in the "potion" aisle at your local Wal*Mart or auto parts store that you pour into the tank to cure fuel injector and/or carburetor woes.

While I'm normally pretty skeptical about the magic potions, I've found the cleaner types regardless of brand they're probably all the same anyway, listed above to actually work provided I can keep the bike running long enough to let the chemicals do their job. While I try to be careful about the fuel I put into my bikes, I swear some stations sell "reformulated" (ethanol blend) regardless of octane and don't advertise as such.

Hopefully your paticular issue is nothing more than a pinched vent line. Good luck and keep us posted. ;)!

I would recommend taking a look at that fuel cap vent line also. It is the vent line coming off the top of the fuel cap and routes up threw the center of the handlebar area. They normally get pinched in the area under the plastic cover over the center of the bars. If that looks okay try tapping on the carb float bowl lightly with a small tool as the float needle may be sticking and not allowing fuel to freely come back into the carb. Either of the above will cause the machine to run for a short period and then shut off due to the float bowl area going empty. If you live in an area with reformulated fuel like we have locally in our area we have found that using a chrome float needle instead of the stock style float needle helps prevent the needle sticking problem. We stock the chrome needles if anyone ever needs one.

you all are great, I will check all of the above in a few hours, I got to get some sleep for now. but i will keep everyone posted once I find what the problem is but the good news is... I been thinking of trading in my 05 raptor since i never got around selling it due to me not puting any real energy into trying to sell it so now I think Im just going to do it, trade it in and get me a second grizz :-o that way I always have a back up. the raptor has been just sitting there since a got it and I only put 20 if that on it so I think this is going to be the right thing and right time, I know I will loss a little but it beats just letting it just go to waist. Anyway i will talk to you all later.

Blades

my brother had the same thing happen to him and him to was the vent line from the gas cap.as soon as he unpinched it it fired and it never happened again.i checked the on line parts catalogue and could not see the fuel pump.there might not be any since the grizzly is not fuel injection

Got up this morning and went to check that line that goes to the gas cap and it had a little mud in it but it came right out went to start it and there was no difference. One thing that I have noticed is that after several attemps at starting it if I leave it alone for a while after messing with it and come back it seems to start up as soon as I hit the button as it did this morning even after cleaning out that hose, only thing is it only stays on for around 5 -7 seconds and then thats it i am right back were I started...it doesnt make sence its almost like just enough gas get built up somewhere in the carb for it to just fire up for those few seconds and thats it!

what if I tryed to start it with the gas cap off would that have an effect on it?

come on guys I know somewhere out there someone can figure this out, I loosing my mind over this LaLaLa

is there any other hoses that may have the same result? :o| :o|

thanks everyone! thanks for your help with this.

Blades

with the seat off and trying to start it I here a buzzing sound and some clicking noise (above left rear tire) where all the fuses are located. Could any of that stuff be bad and cause the grizz not to start?

Back