• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carb or FI Vector

Studs will also take some off due to the extra rotating mass and the power required to move it. All that means is it will not run in the same gear ratio between the primary and secondary at a given track speed because of the added track weight.

Gonna adjust the reverse linkage, loosen the track a bit, then barring ruined trails from rain this weekend, I will run a hundred miles or so and do a good check on milage.

I sure hope they get this rain thing wrong

Dara said:
Gonna adjust the reverse linkage, loosen the track a bit, then barring ruined trails from rain this weekend, I will run a hundred miles or so and do a good check on milage.

I sure hope they get this rain thing wrong
please report back to us and let us know what your have for results.

musselmark said:
I am looking for a used vector 2008 and up, should I be looking for Carb or FI, what are the pros/cons

To get back to your question, both are great motors and it really comes down to what you want to spend. Money no object, I would go FI for ease of starting and storage. I had a 07' RS and even though I would run Stabil thru the fuel system to store it, and every couple years I would still have to clean the Pilot Jets. Not a big deal, but it needed it as the holes are really small in the Pilot jet and plug up easy. The only other thing to know about the carb engine is that coming out of storage, they can be a pain to start the first time. I would have to blow air into the fuel vent hose and still crank the piss out of it the first start after off season strorage.

With a FI motor, all you need to due is treat the gas at the end of season and then just turn the key to start it coming out of storage. Either way, you can't go wrong. G.B.

Dara said:
I really should be taking the day off work today.
Trails are still in great shape, sunny and -4C and due to get half an inch of rain tomorrow and Saturday
Im with you on that one!

FI for sure..Nice sled...I want to sell buy one now. Sell my Attak for a 2011 up RS LTX.. It flys out of the hole and handles good. My wife gets 20 miles per gallon most days. She weights 130lbs...Rides easy of course..

you need to loosen that track until it rachets, and then give it just a little tightening.

You may want to look at adding some rear exchanger protection like this;

Attachments

• t__wsb_400x300_rearcoolerd_110.jpg
    t__wsb_400x300_rearcoolerd_110.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 59
  • t_dsc00192.jpg
    t_dsc00192.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 55
Indy said:
you need to loosen that track until it rachets, and then give it just a little tightening.

You may want to look at adding some rear exchanger protection like this;

x2 on the rear protector.

But.... your track tension remark..... The '10-up Vectors have anti-ratchet drivers. The track will derail before it slips.

Run 1.5-1 5/8" free sag. That's more than enough to free up rolling resistance.

BACK ON TOPIC: I love my FI engines. Easier starting & crisper throttle response. I rode a friends RX1 a week ago & it felt like such a slouch compaired to my Apex & Vector. Laggy, soft throttle response. It revved out fine, but not nearly as snappy. Fuel mileage has more to do with driver habits & snow conditions than it does with FI vs carb.

Will say though I too never had a problem with the carbs on my '06 RS Nytro. It always started fine, idled fine, and fired up in the fall just fine.

If I wanted to pull choke levers & babysit the engine while it warms up, I'd go back to an old 2 stroke.

I do like the FI better than my carbed 06 Rage...just because.

Start it up and let it idle warm.
My Rage was easy to get off of choke though...5 seconds after I started it I could shut the choke off, and in 6 years I never did clean the carbs and it ran just fine.
A little pressure in the tank each fall and it started fine as well.

I'm just venting a bit because I'm a bit miffed at yamaha right now
The new sled is being a bit of a pita and I'm not used to that with Yamahas

I have an '05 Vector with carbs and am always jeolous of my friends with newer FI Apexs. They just turn the key and their sled is on like the front porch light. I have to fully choke mine, then feather it down until it will idle without any choke - a process that takes about a minute. Oh the strife!

Dara said:
I do like the FI better than my carbed 06 Rage...just because.

Start it up and let it idle warm.
My Rage was easy to get off of choke though...5 seconds after I started it I could shut the choke off, and in 6 years I never did clean the carbs and it ran just fine.
A little pressure in the tank each fall and it started fine as well.

I'm just venting a bit because I'm a bit miffed at yamaha right now
The new sled is being a bit of a pita and I'm not used to that with Yamahas

Have you checked your clutch side driveshaft bearing? Mine went bad during its second winter. That could be causing a ton of resistance.

I have had zero isues with my '08 carb. I love the engine braking on the carb sleds.

Note that its really easy to start a carb sled in the fall. I have found that one of the big syringes that you get at the auto parts store to help accurately mix 2 stroke gas is very useful as a funnel.
Pull out the plunger (I don't use it at all), then pull just one fuel line that goes to the carbs off the fuel pump on the left frame rail, put the end of the syringe into the fuel line. Quickly pour 2.2 oz of gas in the big end (syringe has measurement marks) using a plastic cup or something, and let it drain to fill carbs.

Put the line back on the pump, and it starts right up. No blowing into the tank breather, no excessive cranking.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10111-2-C ... B000G72U0K

I keep it in a zip lock bag in my trailer in case I run the sled out of gas.

Back