• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carlisle XS Ultimax Belt

I used to run the Ultimax belts with good results, but when I installed the Ulmer stage 2 clutch kit i blew a belt so violently it nearly came through the cowl. I installed the OEM and have yet to blow a belt in2k miles. The ultimax would rev perfectly at 10,200-500, and the OEM was over reving and I had to add some tip weight to bring them back down. I think the kit grabs the clutches better and therfore blew the softer Ultimax JMO ;)!

I also run an Ulmer clutch kit. I made sure that Allen knew that when I ordered my kit. He made some slight adjustments to accomodate the belt (which he also recommended at the time as being a better performance belt).

Back to the topic of the OP ... I would agree with some of the other suggestions. First check to make sure that your new belt isn't a different lenght that what you were running. Belts can actually vary in lenght by more than what you would expect. And I would suggest that you actually measure them ... just holding them up to each other doesn't tell the whole story because the 'set' of one belt to another is different.

Take a tape measure and wrap it around the outside to get the overall circumference. Then compare the two. They should be almost right on. Then you can check the condition of the clutches. Make sure it's clean and you don't have any components worn out. You might also consider replacing the primary or secondary springs if the sled has a lot of miles - the springs can set in, or become weaker over time, just like suspension springs do.

sherlock29 said:
I've been running the carlisle XS for the past 4 winters... and thousands of miles... didn't see what your tlaking about.. yes they are a softer compound but i go thru a belt about every 4000 miles.... and i find that the XS has alot less belt dust... ie.. cleaner under the hood.

Where are you seeing the drop?? both the apex's still pull a tad under 11G under WOT...

I really hope that is the case...I'm going to try a Carlisle belt on that fact alone. Thanks! :rocks:

Hey snomonut... as stated i have over 21000 combined miles on my apex's.... i ran the OEM for the first 3-4 on each... i was finding that in the clutch side, i would get alot of dust... i clean my $hit wayyy too much and when i started using the XS i found that i was not getting that fine powder... Yes they do give some... but not as much... makes sense really... if the clutches are not "slipping" as much.. should have less dust...

just my observations.... and i'm stickin with the XS..
cheers

sherlock29 said:
Irv said:
sherlock29 said:
I've been running the carlisle XS for the past 4 winters... and thousands of miles... didn't see what your tlaking about.. yes they are a softer compound but i go thru a belt about every 4000 miles.... and i find that the XS has alot less belt dust... ie.. cleaner under the hood.

Where are you seeing the drop?? both the apex's still pull a tad under 11G under WOT...

Interesting, I was under the understanding that nothing beats a Yamaha OEM belt.
Might just have to give one a try?

Speaking of which, I assume you don't change them out yearly if you don't reach 4,000 miles?
My machine has just under 5K but I do know the belt was changed at least once by the previous owner.
Hey Irv...

yes i dont change yearly... i go by mileage, and condition of course... the belt i have on now has 3700 miles (last years miles) and it is still in very good shape with life left, but i will be putting on a new one, and this will be my new spare... both my apex's were new in 2008 and the 40th has 10500 on it and the RTX has 10300, all miles in last 4 winters, and the only OEM belts i used were the ones that came with the sleds..

I've been hearing alot also on the dayco XTX... in the same catagory with the XS... i have no experience with these ones.

Thanks Sherlock, those above and the ones you mentioned before are good enough reasons for me to try one.

Curious if you know if my Vector would take the same belt as your Apex?
(not a bad price from Royal either)

"$89.95 from royal in canuckville..... just bought 2 of them... cheeper in the states. these are for the XS805"

yes they do... Apex, attack, Nytro, rage, vector, venture.... all XS805... page 141 in royals book. $89.95+tax... awesome price for a high performance belt..

sherlock29 said:
yes they do... Apex, attack, Nytro, rage, vector, venture.... all XS805... page 141 in royals book. $89.95+tax... awesome price for a high performance belt..

Thanks Sherlock, going to give one a try ;)!

Back