• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat suspension spring question....

KevinC

I need some help from the guys with Cat skids in their sleds. How much does the rear "set in" when you are sitting on your sled? I just finished up installing a Cat skid from a 03 ZR800 into my sled and with the adjuster block at the firmest the rear of the sled sags about 3.5 inches when I am on it. This really feels weird compared to the stock piece...is this normal for Cats? I am measuring this with no riding gear on and I weigh 185 pounds. The springs I have are the round Sno-Pros, with stock adjuster block.
Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin[/img][/url]

I got blocks from ripngrip racing that give 10 or 15% more spring rate for 35 bucks. I put new springs on and it doesn't sit in that much.

1. Is there a web site where I can get those adjusters?

2. Kevin, does your skid have the coupling kit? I can't remember what years came with them. The coupling kit is a pair of adjustable black plastic blocks at the rear of the rails that limit how far the rear arm moves. Earlier ZR skids didn't have them, and if you don't have the coupling kit, it will sag more than if you have it.

I have noticed that mine is sagging more this year than it did year before last, and I have the heavy springs on it. Then again, there is a bit more of me this season than 2 years ago (by around 40 lbs.), so there is some reason for more sag. :exc:

Jim

Jim - I found that site for the oversized adjusters....

http://www.gripnripracing.com/product_i ... ucts_id=15

My Cat skid does have the coupler blocks, but the springs are not the square units. I am still tring to figure out which Cat spring is the heaviest they offer and I will change to them. I think those oversized adjuster blocks are a good idea as well.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

Attachments

• 101_0195.JPG
    101_0195.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 109
From what I read the strongest springs are 170-290&170-291.They are upgrade springs never offered on any sled stock.I could be wrong but that is what I found doing a search on arcticchat website.

Thanks! I have the round springs also. I don't remember the part numbers for them, but I had asked for the heaviest springs available at the dealer, and this is what I got.

Jim

looking4speed - I have a listing of the rear springs from a 2003 Cat service manual cd I bought off ebay. I don't see the part numbers you mentioned, but here are some things I came up with...

There is a real good online website for Cat sled parts schematics: http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

From that parts site the stock square spring for a stock ZR800/900 is 0704-892 / 0704-893. They list a "heavy option" spring for the ZR800, part# 1604-146 / 1604-147 and part# 1604-148 / 1604-149 for the ZR900.
My skid has the ZR800 Sno-Pro spring, part# 0704-938 / 0704-939, but I am not sure what makes a sno-pro spring different. I am going to test ride the machine this weekend to see how it does, but right now it feels a bit under sprung, but maybe the Cat is supposed to be that "soft".
If these springs don't work, I am not sure which one I will try...should I go for the heavy option ZR900? The fun of custom guesswork!

If any of you guys would like a listing of these spring part numbers, send me an email and I will forward it to you.

Kevin
kevinwcampbell@eaton.com

I know that adding these Cat skids is getting to be a standard deal, but I am pretty proud of my results. We are heading up to the U.P. tomorrow to give it a try...I hope it all stays together!

Attachments

• 100_549.JPG
    100_549.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 119
Well rest assured, one of the primary strengths of using a Cat skid is that they are bulletproof. Ever heard of one breaking? They might not be the most hi-tech things out there, but they are reliable!

Jim

If you input the spring #s I mentioned on that website they list the price for those springs.Like I said they were not used stock on any sled but are supposed to be the heavest spring available.

Back