• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case oil

glred

Veteran
Need to change the chain case oil in my 03 RX1ER, what oil do you guys use and am I correct in saying the case with reverse takes alot less oil. The dip stick reverse level is much lower.

When I put my extrovert drivers on I replaced the oil with Mobil Synthetic Gear Oil - went with the viscosity they reccomended in the owners manual (75 or 80 weight if I remember right)

anyone know the oil capacity for a RX with reverse??? the book says 8.2 oz for standard but no cap. for one with reverse

While on the subject,
I have been reading for years that some people use auto tranny fluid in their chain cases. It is an interesting thought as you would think that it would offer less resistance especially in the cold.

But the 2 fluids are so radically different. Has anybody here used it long term without any problems??

My service technician highly recommends Amsoil Synthetic, which is what I have had in my 03 since break-in.

I have always used auto trans fluid in my chain cases. However, at least 2 times a year I have the gears out to change for higher altitude, and I always use new fluid. I have never seen any wear. :4STroke:

Back