• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain tension adjuster bottoming out...

GR8BBQ

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha SRViper X-TX SE
2017 Ski-Doo Blizzard 900 ACE
2001 Yamaha SXR 700 Triple
1995 Polaris Indy Lite
Help! Just took off the muffler to adjust the chain tension. I loosened the jam nut... started turning the tension bolt in by hand, and it doesn't ever stop! It gets all the way in and never hits "bottom." Is my tension roller likely out of place? I have not ever taken the chaincase cover off, but had the dealer change the chaincase oil at 500 miles. I changed the chaincase oil last year by suctioning it out. Sled has about 2000 miles on it, its a 2017 SRViper XTX SE. Still under Y.E.S. so I'm thinking of trying to get it in.... Any other suggestions?

Here's what I'm looking at...

Attachments

• Resized_20201115_182408_4140.jpeg
    Resized_20201115_182408_4140.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 130
Dealer called... chain stretched so much that the tensioner wouldn't reach any more. Wheel and screws intact. Not covered under warranty because chain is supposedly a wear item.
Everybody keep a close eye on your chain tension!

That's unacceptable in my eyes that should be covered under the extended warranty. I would find a different dealer there jerking you around.

As per your first post, the sled only has 2000 miles. On a Viper, your chaincase should not need any parts, especially a chain, for a very long time.

As per your first post, the sled only has 2000 miles. On a Viper, your chaincase should not need any parts, especially a chain, for a very long time.
I agree, but that's what's going on. Glad it didn't turn into a grenade on the trail. Maybe it would have been covered if it did though....

I have 15000+ miles on my chain which is same as yours. Plenty of adjustment. Something is not right. But maybe the dealer didnt want to admit just sucking oil out and missing the issue the last time. I would be checking tension myself now though. Back it out. Pull back rubber washer. Screw it in lightly with two fingers till any resistance is felt then back it off 1 1/2 turns. Compare to how it looked before.

Wow...seems strange a chain will stretch that far. It's a pretty stout looking chain. Need a 'Paul Harvey' rest of the story.

Back