• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain tightening trick

dfroster

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Arctic Cat Thundercat EPS
I want to check my rx warrior drive chain to make sure it's tight. Dealer showed my how to do it a long time ago. Little foggy now. Something about 2 nuts and the brake side. Loosen the lock nut and then hand tighten the other nut. Then retighten the lock nut. Sound right?

I tighten the bolt finger tight and then lock it there without backing out the bolt. That is how they list it in the manual too.

I didn't realize the procedure is in the manual. Thanks for posting the page. Thanks to both you guys for responding. Happy holidays.

FYI manual says to not back off, internet racers tip is to back it off 1/4 turn to help with wear and reduce friction. Personally I run with it backed off a 1/4 turn. Works great!

Improper chain adjustement will cause premature wear i adjusted to the back off1/4 turn and while riding i began thinking about that damnchain havinga little slack in it and what we ask it to do (transfer all that power from the clutches to a track that we have studded for extra traction) yamahas extensive testing on these machines before they go into production so i took it back to stock adjustement and dont think about it any more but my thoughts are when you hook up a log chain and you pull on it if you put a shock load on it you are stretching the links same goes for any chain when a drive chain gets stretched it will wer out the gears because the chains dimension is not the same as the teeth in the sprocket

If you actually pop off the chain case and look at what is happening you'll see 1/4 turn is not causing slack, its just reducing friction between the roller and chain. You would have to go ot 1/2 to 3/4 back off to create any slack.

We always would rotate the disc/driven forward to get the slack side of the chain and then tighten finger tight, and back off a little. With doos, you had a pin and holes. Never had chain issues in 30 years, Machz's etc included. Nothing should be tight, as there is much expansion from heat to consider.

chain tension

i still stand behind the thought of shock load to the chain and sprocket teeth i have not removed the cover and looked to see if there is slack at adjuster bolt being finger tight or quarter turn off the roller was put in there for a reason and that was to make sure the chain had the proper amount of slack taken up in it to prevent shock load on the chain and other parts we depend on these components to transfer 140 or more horse tto the ground its kind of like using a micrometer on a cylindrical object all of us are gonna get a different measurement using the clutch or not because evry ones feel is different my finger tight is different than some one elses finger tight so maybe quarter turn off aint so bad i just threw my two sense out there for general disussion a torque spec would be nice but it probably not that big of deal

If you do not have reverse, you can run the chain with the screw finger tight and locked. If you do have reverse, it shifts a lot easier with the screw backed off 1/4 turn and locked. You need a little slack in the chain for the reverse shifting to work consistently. Otherwise you are froggin' around with the lever half the time you are trying to shift.

When you install the reverse as a kit, they used to talk about this in the instructions. Actually, the Cats had you taking out the automatic chain tensioners and replacing them with a bolt because of this.

Back