• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase bearing failure

Newyamahaowner

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 viper xtx se
2004 Mxz 600 Sdi sold
1999 formula z 670 sold
anyone else have this bearing go bad
image.png
image.jpeg

Oh if your in Canada and past one year no warranty even if you have the extended warranty
And I am put 2016 parts in it with the new bearing and shaft

Yes , I have done several of them , that's why it's a very good idea to pull chain case apart and check everything out ... That upper bearing been a problem with the cats since 2012 ...

Highly recommended to replace that bearing every year or at around 3000 miles ...

Yes , I have done several of them , that's why it's a very good idea to pull chain case apart and check everything out ... That upper bearing been a problem with the cats since 2012 ...

Highly recommended to replace that bearing every year or at around 3000 miles ...
I know. Seen it too. I am really pushing it with over 6000 mi on it. Spring I will do the updated shaft and best bearing I can find.

It may look good when you take cover off , but it doesn't take long to come apart ... That bearing is cheep for sure ......the shafts are so far apart not much oil gets up there , not unless you use gear lube but that stinks after it gets warm ....

Does the bearing make any weird noises when slowing down or accelerating when it is going bad or do they just usually let go with no warning?

Last edited:
5000 km no real warning way cheaper than replacing your hole assembly at 2100 tax in

Mine failed at 5000 miles. I replaced the cheap china peak bearing with a much better quality skf bearing. caught mine before it came apart and destroyed the chaincase. Had a lot of pitting in the outer race. Poor quality materials.

Really no warning they just come apart ...it's really not that bad of a job to do .. Will take 2 to 3 hours to complete... I would also order the special tool to take off the nut on jackshaft and it also helps to release the collar !

Really no warning they just come apart ...it's really not that bad of a job to do .. Will take 2 to 3 hours to complete... I would also order the special tool to take off the nut on jackshaft and it also helps to release the collar !
Instead of buying the tool which is not needed on 16 shaft wouldnt a chisel work since its not going to be reused anway since 16 has a clip?

Well if you go that route , but if you are looking for a warranty job Yamaha will not upgrade to new shaft and bearing , they will replace the bearing that's in it ...

Back