• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase cover gasket

schmeg

Expert
Hello to all,
Cold season is fast approaching. Well, as I was doing routine PM, I found the chaincase on my 06 GT has been leaking. Fortunately I caught it in time, no damage. I bought the sled new and never had a problem with the cover like many have, until now. My question is, did Yamaha ever have a replacement program from ther cover (I believe they did), does anyone know if the replacement program is still in place? I hate to put the cover back on and have this happen again.

schmeg said:
Hello to all,
Cold season is fast approaching. Well, as I was doing routine PM, I found the chaincase on my 06 GT has been leaking. Fortunately I caught it in time, no damage. I bought the sled new and never had a problem with the cover like many have, until now. My question is, did Yamaha ever have a replacement program from ther cover (I believe they did), does anyone know if the replacement program is still in place? I hate to put the cover back on and have this happen again.

From another thread:

BigMac said:
Budweiser said:
Is this a recall? I have a 06 Attak and have had no issues yet although I know others have. I don't want to pay for a updated cover if there is nothing wrong with the one I got.
Not a recall. The way it was explained to me is that it's not even a "service bulletin". However, apparently if you take your 06 into your Yamaha dealer and tell them that you have a chaincase leak, they'll submit it to their Yamaha service rep to see if they'll replace it with the updated chaincase cover. I know of guys who have pulled that off and I know guys that were denied. I'm not quite clear on who pays what, but IIRC, if the sled is out of warranty then the owner is supposed to pay labor and Yamaha covers the cost of the part. ICBW about that, but all it ought to take to clear up is a call to the dealer.

Personally, I'd be nervous about a chaincase cover that has a relatively higher potential to leak. If and when it does (miles out on the trail, of course) and the chaincase oil goes away, we're talking some $ignificant damage. From what people have posted here in the past, the first warning you usually get is the smell of burnt oil and a horrible grinding noise from the front right side of the sled. Yamaha contends, officially, that this is not nearly a widespread-enough problem to warrant a service bulletin or recall.

This has been discussed a lot here on TY and a search ought to provide a lot more information.

Thanks, this is along the lines of what I thought. Strangely, once I took the cover off, the gasket checks out fine. I cleaned things up, re-assembled and filled with lube. No leaks. It may have been a situation of too much pressure in the case on my last ride. The girl was given a hot supper.

Use an exact-o knife or something to increase the vent reliefs on the dipstick. I did this along with being very meticulous about the gasket being clean and dry during install and never had an issue for the 7,000 miles I had my 06'.

Can you see where the oil was leaking from, any residue on the cover or below? Mine was leaking from behind the brake disk and covered the chaincase cover with oil. Strong smell after some high speed running. At first I suspected the outer Jackshaft seal on the cover, but it looked OK. I think the culpret was the "O" Ring on the Jackshaft. Changed both and now trading for a 2011 SE so will never know for sure. Good luck!

I saw a little residue on my cover as well on my 06 and didn't know about this. I did remember someone posting about the venting so I did vent my dip stick a little more by slightly cutting the gasket around the dipstick.

2 winters ago... i blew the $hit out of the chaincase on the RTX. Cover gasket was leaking and didn't notice... new gasket and internals we are back in business. The 40th is stripped down doing the exhaust gaskets and looked around... its leaking too.... right at the bottom, noticed this at the end of the season last year, just kept topping up... but going to be taking it all apart and redoing.

so i have the 2 apex's and both leak.... mmmm... design issue?

I cut a slit in the dipstick years ago, but apparently it's not big enough. Everything appears to be fine in the case. I use Klotz Chaincase lube which I believe is a superior product, and it may have saved my bacon. I have no way in telling when on the final day she pooched her fluid. I'm more concerned about the bearings (driveshaft and jackshaft). Are those bearings lubed by the chaincase lube or are they also sealed? At the minimum, I'm going to shake the sled down close to home the first day out.

Last year running some Gaspe trails anything over 90+ for an extended amount of time I would smell gear oil. Never leaked and was never down fluid. When I changed it in the spring, the right amount came out...strange. It was in the 30's for the high speed runs though.....

I had a huge chaincase breakdown on my 06 RTX while running railroad grade a few years back. Gears shot, chain grenaded and blew apart the chaincase, what was left of the chain shot out the bottom side panel. Part of the chain, oil, and case pieces created a fire on the foam of the sidepanel. Fortunately I was able to put out the fire by packing it full of snow. We were running 100 - stop sign - 100 - stop sign for a while... not sure on the distance? 6-7 miles?

Anyway, I was outside of warranty and had purchased the sled used. It took a month, but Yamaha eventually covered the parts. I don't have the numbers anymore, but at that point there were 3 part numbers for chaincase covers. Original (06), Improved (07), and the "update" that I got. I know this because my uncle blew the chaincase on his Apex about a month after mine. He was under warranty and received the 07 part number. I got the "update" which had a part number that wasn't on a fiche.

Particularly with the original case, the lip wasn't deep enough to keep the gasket from getting sucked out of the grove it lays in, causing fatigue and stretching of the gasket. If Yamaha doesn't do anything for you, I would still replace the gasket even if it looks good. You had a leak for a reason - buying a new, tight gasket is worth it, especially if it prevents a failure.

Remember, when you lose the chaincase you'll probably lose braking. Fortunately I had just left a stop sign, I wasn't coming up on one...

From searching on here it looks like this:

06/07 chain case cover is the same
Late 07 and on all 08's the update came out
09+ new drive shaft and cover again with better support of driveshaft with new bearing on the cover.

05 rx1 aluminum chaincase will bolt up to all 06/07's and has larger lip like the updated one on all 08's but the 08's is made from magnesium and lighter.

How can I tell if I have an updated chain case cover? I noticed my chain case leaking at the bottom.

Look at the casting number on the inside of the cover should read 202232

Also look at the lip on the bottom if it narrows down around the corner at the bottom its old one. There is a picture on here if you search with a side by side shot.

I would suggest that a good way to ensure a good solid seal and that the gasket doesn't move is to clean and degrease everything, including the seal, and install with GENEROUS AMOUNTS OF HIGH TEMPERATURE SILICON on both sides of the gasket. You'll still be able to get it apart if necessary, might be a little more work to clean when you do, but it'll hold stuff 10X better.

Thanks for the help! I checked the casting number and it is 202232 so I have the updated one. I am going to put in a new gasket on and silicone it. I will also drill a vent hole in the dipstick plug.

Back