• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

changing sliders! pull out suspension or not? its minus 5

rideone

Veteran
keeping in mind it is minus five and my garage is minus 4.95 should i take out the suspension or just hamer it through the track? was reading about putting in reverse once out a bit? does this actually work? any help to save my hands "cold b/c have the 07 bars on and have not reinstalled the 06 bars as of yet!" thx and when is lake of bays going to freeze !!!!! :o|

yeah you can save alot of time by "REVERSE" method....lol

-remove screws(BE SURE TO USE A #3 philips socket or these will get ruined!)

-loosen off track

-slide a large screwdriver under back end of slider and pry it away,pull it out slightly with a visegrip and thru window

-now you can reverse the sled and it will come off....do it slowly...then repeat other side.

be very careful to align the HOLES when reinstalling front #3 philips screws,as you can crossthread the aluminum very easy....some have even drilled the slider hole larger in plastic,to get screw aligned easier.

Dan

What do you ride . I have a 06 Attak . I took a razor knife and cut out the outer edge of one set of windows and then thay will come right out . Pull or hammer them out about 4 or 5 " and then with the rear of the sled hanging up . Start it up and put in reverse give it a little gas and thay come right off ! This work good. :nos

I just changed mine today. First thing I did was soak the rail with wd-40 to hepl break them loose. Undid the screw up front, used a hammer and screwdriver to pound the slides right out the back. I did have to trim a little bigger opening in the track window to get them out. Had them both changed in 15 min.

A freind of mine has a hyfax removal tool that I used last time. It reminds me of a dent puller. Its a long steel rod that has a replacable screw in the end. The idea is to drill a pilot hole in the end of the hyfax and then screw in this device. You then slide this weighted collar to the other end and the force of each thrust pulls the hyfax right out. Problem is, the tool is old and doesnt have any name on it and we are out the the replaceable screws. Has anyone else seen or have one of these? We'd like to find out where we can get some replacement screws.

Thewhitedogg said:
A freind of mine has a hyfax removal tool that I used last time. It reminds me of a dent puller. Its a long steel rod that has a replacable screw in the end. The idea is to drill a pilot hole in the end of the hyfax and then screw in this device. You then slide this weighted collar to the other end and the force of each thrust pulls the hyfax right out. Problem is, the tool is old and doesnt have any name on it and we are out the the replaceable screws. Has anyone else seen or have one of these? We'd like to find out where we can get some replacement screws.

Blizzard Products in Rochester, NY made those tools. I think they are out of business. Try calling Jon Culpepper or Glenn Regruit at 585-621-4965. They were the owners of Blizzard and I believe still run a consulting business called ICS. They might still have some inventory. If not, PM me as I bought a few extra of those screws for my tool.

wd-40 and use a slide hammer, come right off, re-place, with the yamaha graphite hyfax, ROCKERDAN has a post with the #, there alittle narrower and will go right thru the track holes, narrower the hyfax less drag, more speed :Rockon:

SharkAttak said:
wd-40 and use a slide hammer, come right off, re-place, with the yamaha graphite hyfax, ROCKERDAN has a post with the #, there alittle narrower and will go right thru the track holes, narrower the hyfax less drag, more speed :Rockon:

I ALways use the skinny yamaha sliders...they last longer,and are faster top speed...

graphite slider part # SMA-8CM92-70-HP

putting it in reverse will save you 20 minutes from pounding them off or using a slide hammer...no labor whatsoever.lol

Dan

SharkAttak said:
i'll have to try the reverse method next time, the hyfax must come out in alot of pieces

Do one at a time...when you slide a large screwdrived into back end of slider,and pry it OFF rail and out of window....you then just put into reverse on a stand and it peels the entire slider off on one peice....easiest way by far....then do the other one.

all in one peice.

Dan

RTXs I am always afraid to let them go to far. I have found that often they look like they are almost worn out and if you measure them with a caliper you will be surprised how much you have left. The slides are 18mm when new and done at 10mm. I thought mine looked almost worn out and still were at 15mm.

Also, when changing hyfax you will find if you use a blowtorch and heat the insert in the rail where the hyfax screw threads into it will soften the threadlock and you won't strip the screw head.

RTXs said:
just leave them on, they get to a point and stop wearing anywhere nearly as much as new

they dont stop wearing like the DOOS.....these apexs will wear right thru....mine did!....seen it happen on several sleds.

once you add a FIX mid and front wheel kit,then they should not wear thru ever.

dan

It seems to me you should take it to the dealer, sense you do not know what you are doing.

I would do it just like Rocker dan said. I just walked in from the garage and changed my slides in less than 20 mins. The only difference I did was I sprayed wd-40 in the track opening that I was taking the slide out of and the opening to start the new slide in. I used oem slides. I've heard of this method before ,but this is the first time i've had a sled with reverse to try it on. Major time saver!!!

Back