• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Charging A Rage

jsa3107

Lifetime Member
I was just wondering the best way to charge the battery in a 2005 rage
I found that my rage had a dead battery yesterday
I located the 2 leads that Yamaha puts there to jump it but the ends are covered with rubber
So how does it work?
thanks for any help....

If you pull on the end of the rubber lead you should be able to expose the lead you can connect the charger to. I would fully charge the battery with a trickle charge and then start it, let it run until it shuts itself off and start it again in a few days. I start my sleds once a month and let them run until they shut themselves off, all summer long.

I dont understand what does it mean to let it run till it shuts itself off?
Is there something built in that will only let it run so long on idle before it shuts off?

thanks for your help...
mark

Steely you definetely got me on that one. AS far as the original question if you can wedge a battery chargers clamps in the whole within those plastic covered batter leads. Just make sure the hot lead of the charger is touching and off you go.

I believe that Steely is referring to the safety shutdown that prevents the sled from overheating and seizing the engine. I don't know how long it takes but after the coolant hits a certain temperature, the motor will shut off.

I have left my battery tender on my sled for the past two months 24/7 (connected to the two leads), it is a Deltran Battery Tender plus, is this good and safe practice?

The sleds have a safety shutdown but I don't know how long it is before it activates. My dealer told me that it is a safety feature installed because it is possible that someone could start the sled to warm up and get distracted and forget about it. I start both my sleds at the same time and they both shut off within seconds of each other.

Who in their right mind would let their sled run intentionally to get it hot enough to have the emergency shut down kick in? That does not sound like something that should be done routinely.

it dosnt hurt it i had it happen to me when i left it running so some one could fix there sled its just there so that u cant overheat it. it protects the engine it takes like 15 min in the winter to shut off

yammie3687 said:
Who in their right mind would let their sled run intentionally to get it hot enough to have the emergency shut down kick in? That does not sound like something that should be done routinely.
You are right about that. It is the amount of time it runs that shuts the engine off not how hot it gets.

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the ECUs aren't programmed to shut down the engine on a time limit, but rather it's an inline thermostat reading the coolant temp (somewhere around 200F or so) that will trigger the ECU to shut the sled down.

I personally wouldn't bring my sled to a near overheat to keep them in running order during the summer.

JMO,
Jon

ecopter said:
I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the ECUs aren't programmed to shut down the engine on a time limit, but rather it's an line thermostat reading the coolant temp (somewhere around 200F or so) that will trigger the ECU to shut the sled down.

I personally wouldn't bring my sled to a near overheat to keep them in running order during the summer.

JMO,
Jon
I am doing what the dealer recommended.

If they do have a safty I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on it. My luck the damn safty gadget wouldn't work and for some reason the engine would overheat and blow up. :o|

when mine shut off the light wasnt even on so its probally a shut of when the throttle isnt touched so u dont wast ur gas
i think ur right
ecopter

Back