• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Checking oil

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
New to me sidewinder and it doesn’t have a dipstick to check oil like my viper did. How is the oil level checked on these ?

There a sticker on the case directly under the tube indicating Min. and Max. level.

I believe you check oil just after warm-up with engine off. As oil will drain back to tank and appear to be slightly overfull, after a bit. Hope that makes sense.

Two redlines

You want the oil level to be just above the min line when cold and not above the max line when hot.

some oils airate ... or foam more than others, i was using REDLINE 0w40 with cat filter and lust switched to AMSOIL signature 0w30 with a K&N filter the redline would foam up over full line but soo far the amsoil is just below the full line after long run. same 3 us quarts. (946mlx3)

What can happen if the oil is above the full line when hot?
Depends on how much over full it is. Since this is a dry sump engine, too much oil in remote oil tank will not cause there to be too much oil in the engine UNLESS there is so much that it cannot drain (actually it's pumped by oil pump) back into tank. There are baffles inside the oil tank with holes, etc to prevent oil from aerating and sloshing around. If there the tank is too full, some of these may not work right.
Too full probably causes additional pressure on ROV.
If the tank is just slightly over full, there really shouldn't be any negative effects.
Guys have said there will be more oil vapor in system (vent hose from valve cover) with tank overfull. I've not experienced that.

Back