• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clicking noise from rear right wheel area while reversing

Scott Wyatt

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 Sidewinder
While I am on the bike in reverse the rear right wheel will click. It will click about 3-4 times per rotation and it is repeatable. This is while in 2WD. I jacked up the rear end in 2WD and ran the wheels in reverse and it will NOT make the same clicking noise. I removed the wheel to clean and inspect the disc brake/caliper/ect. Reversed with no wheel ... nothing. Put the wheel back on and sat on the bike. Reversed and the clicking noise is still there at the same intensity.

Any ideas ?

While I am on the bike in reverse the rear right wheel will click. It will click about 3-4 times per rotation and it is repeatable. This is while in 2WD. I jacked up the rear end in 2WD and ran the wheels in reverse and it will NOT make the same clicking noise. I removed the wheel to clean and inspect the disc brake/caliper/ect. Reversed with no wheel ... nothing. Put the wheel back on and sat on the bike. Reversed and the clicking noise is still there at the same intensity.

Any ideas ?

Wheel bearing would be my first guess or the universal joint in the trans-axle.

Any ideas ?

What year and model do you have?

First likely cause of the clicking would be a CV joint in the right rear axle (what MrSled referred to as the trans-axle). Clicking can come and go in forward/reverse and jacked up/loaded because each scenario loads the CV joint differently enough to cause it to click or not. Knowing the year/model will help determine if you can swap each axle left-right and if clicking moves to the left side, that confirms it is a CV joint in that axle.

Would there be any smoking guns while inspecting the RH CV joint ? It would be nice to identify something easy before putting everything back together and finding out I need to take it all apart again.

Would there be any smoking guns while inspecting the RH CV joint ? It would be nice to identify something easy before putting everything back together and finding out I need to take it all apart again.

CV axles are typically the low hanging fruit when it comes to clicking near the front and rear of the drivetrain. You usually don't get a "smoking gun" unless you do some sort of part swap of methodical test to really point to one thing. If you haven't been to grizzlycentral.com yet, I'd say head on over there. Tons of helpful guys there with lots of experience and pretty much all Grizzly related.

on extreme cases i have seen the boot twisted but in your case odds are it has wear in the one position and that is why you hear it in reverse only.

So now here is the issue. Does anyone know where I can get a complete rear axle assy for a 2016 Grizzly EPS ? I can't seem to find anyone that will sell me one. They will offer an aftermarket front axle assy but not the rear. Yamaha will sell me a CV joint for $280 which is insane.
Help.

well i got this part # from royaldistributing, odds are it is a kimpex part # a04-758017 for a 2015 grizzly 700 rear. on another forumn they said it matched and worked for them.

Mine does this noise,all it is the bushings slapping around making that noise,if you ride in mud and water grease them every ride and they will still wear out.

happens to all of them at some point.

Back