• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Balancing on Nytro Recommendations?

Summitseeker

Veteran
I just had my local dealer install new bushings in my clutch. After the first ride I parked the sled and a week later I went to load my sled on my truck and the clutch would not engage. Looks like the bushing is seized on the shaft.

Anyhow I tried move it and accidentally put a small hairline crack in the outer sheave where the slide bushings are. I ordered a new outer sheave and one guy is telling me it needs to be balanced and others are telling me it does not need it. What are your thoughts?

A local machine shop wants $120.00 to do the balancing. I will most likely go ahead and do it to play it safe but just wanted to see what people have done in past?

I was gonna have allen at ulmer replace both my sheaves and he said it would need to be balanced as the two don't come as a matching set. I would said if just replacing one it should def be done! Talk to him im sure he would do it for ya.

The clutch does not nned to be balanced. I have replaved every part imaginable with out balancing & it,s allways smooth.

09nytro said:
Yamaha bal. each part separatly just make sure u line the x's up and u should be good to go ;)!

Sorry to say it, but you're wrong. The stationary sheave is balanced separately and you can not reference it with an X. It ends up wherever the tightening of the threads take it. I had the primary on my turbo Nytro checked and it was out 9 grams on the outside and 18 grams on the inside!! Had it done locally at a place called Cascade Clutch and Performance. Top notch work with brand new state of the art equipment.

How did this get dug up from 2 years ago??

basic700 said:

I dig up old threads all the time by using the search looking for stuff about odd things like this, obviously read the thread and not the date and provided us with an accurate answer to the question that was not provided before so when the next guy searches for this he will find the correct answer and not a debated thread leaving him hanging to post again. :Rockon:

Zakre said:
basic700 said:

I dig up old threads all the time by using the search looking for stuff about odd things like this, obviously read the thread and not the date and provided us with an accurate answer to the question that was not provided before so when the next guy searches for this he will find the correct answer and not a debated thread leaving him hanging to post again. :Rockon:

Exactly. Just thought I could add to it.

I hear you. Just because the parts are individually balanced is no guarantee that the completed assy will be balanced. Some Skidoo clutches have been as far as 35 grams out. Even my Yammy clutch was out by quite a bit. Those few grams turn into huge imbalances at 7000+ rpm. One of the best things you can do for your clutch.

Well for the average dude it will be close....but for you or me or someone with Lot's of mods done it is good to get them balanced

Back