• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Kits

Laubry

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
sr viper
YAHOO
larryaubry@ymail.com
Schmidt Bros Motorsports or Ulmer Racing ?
best bang for the buck ?
I AM THAING ABOUT PUTING ONE ON

I just ordered a Schmidt Brothers stage II kit. Looked real nice and only heard Good things about it. No persola experience just yet though...

Happy with my Ulmer kit. No experience with Schmidt bros. though.

I'll second the Schmidt Bros. Clutch kit. They have great customer service. I have the comfort clutch kit with custom helix. Works great for me. I wanted a lower engagement. The thing I like most about Schmidt Bros is they specialize in Yamaha only.

Just installed an Ulmer kit this summer. Can't wait to try it out.

G.B.

Gone Blue said:
Just installed an Ulmer kit this summer. Can't wait to try it out.

G.B.

Same here. Installed the Ulmer kit in October. Just waiting for snow now to try it.

I like my Ulmer kit. It was spot on. The Schmidt bros. Stage II looks interesting. I hear good reviews of each.

I'm interested in hearing some real-world results as well. Since last winter was a bust for me (no snow), I passed the time stretching my sled to a 136. Got everything done except clutching. I like the simplicity of the Ulmer kit from an install point of view, but as far as I can tell, it was designed for a 121. I've also looked at Schmidt Brothers' stuff, and like the fact that it isn't necessarily off-the-shelf ... they will take your current set-up, weight and riding style into consideration in helping you to get the right product. But so do others like Tom Hartman for example. So I'm not sure which way I'll go yet. Would love to hear from folks who have put some miles on with these setups. ;)!

OVR4D said:
I'm interested in hearing some real-world results as well. Since last winter was a bust for me (no snow), I passed the time stretching my sled to a 136. Got everything done except clutching. I like the simplicity of the Ulmer kit from an install point of view, but as far as I can tell, it was designed for a 121. I've also looked at Schmidt Brothers' stuff, and like the fact that it isn't necessarily off-the-shelf ... they will take your current set-up, weight and riding style into consideration in helping you to get the right product. But so do others like Tom Hartman for example. So I'm not sure which way I'll go yet. Would love to hear from folks who have put some miles on with these setups. ;)!

Ulmer asks you what size track you are running as well as rider weight so they can adjust your clutch kit accordingly. The kit also comes with recommendations on where to set your secondary based again on rider weight/track size. Sounds like both companies provide top-notch service and parts. It would be interesting to get real-world dyno results and a good test run on both kits on the same sled, though.

Jeffz said:
OVR4D said:

Ulmer asks you what size track you are running as well as rider weight so they can adjust your clutch kit accordingly. The kit also comes with recommendations on where to set your secondary based again on rider weight/track size. Sounds like both companies provide top-notch service and parts. It would be interesting to get real-world dyno results and a good test run on both kits on the same sled, though.

I have not heard anything negative from either companies with the phazer clutch kits.

I have the Schmidt Bros. Comfort kit on both my Phazer and my Nytro. I really like them both. Acceleration is better than stock. Engagement is less harsh. I'm even getting better fuel mileage.

Never had Ulmer's but have installed the Schmidt Bros comfort clutch and Stage 2 secondary.

Installation is straight forward.
Remove primary clutch cover-put an X on both the cover and the clutch so you put the cover back on the same way it was removed (for balacing purposes)
Remove each weight one at a time making sure all parts go back in the same order you took them out. (Don't forget the nylon washers on either side of the weight.
For my setup, Chris Schmidt provided screws and nuts-I drilled out the center rivet on each weight and installed his fasterners. Using loctite and proper torque settings.
Remove stock primary spring and replace with schmidt bros spring.
Torque down primary clutch cover evenly. You do not need to remove the primary clutch to do this.

Remove secondary clutch.
Using a clutch compressing tool, remove the snap ring from the backside of the clutch. If you were heMan you could do this without a tool, but it is very dangerous since that spring is under pressure. I brought mine to my local shop, it takes 5 minutes to do.
Remove stock helix and install Schmidt bros helix-Again, Chris instructed me to use B-1 as my setting.
Reinstall snap ring and reinstall on sled. Torque to factory specs.

I've never touched a clutch-but I installed this kit.
Helps if you have the Phazer shop manual. I downloaded mine from the web in pdf format.
It lists basic disassembly of both clutches and all the torque specs which are important since it's a balanced rotating mass.

Back