• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching Help

mutley531

Veteran
I have an '07 Apex with several lightweight goodies on it (Timbersled front/rear & drop brackets, Floats, Excell undertunnel exhaust, Boss seat to be installed, no rack on back, Hartman bumper, no radiator). Overall I am extremely pleased with the machine, but I am not pulling correct RPM at altitude. I ride mostly around 10,000 ft and when making a climb my rpms are usually just at 10,000 sometimes down to 9,700. I am sure if I can get the rpms up to 10,500 I will get more power out of it. The engine, clutching, and gearing are all stock. Any ideas on how to get the proper engine speed at this elevation? I have been told to try a Cat yellow secondary spring. Has anyone tried that setup? I may just give Tom Hartman a call and order a kit from him, but that will likely be for next year. Also, the sled only has 300 miles on it. I was told these engines start to wake up at around 500 miles. If that is the case I can just continue to ride it until then and re-evaluate it then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Slap a 19 top gear on that baby, you will love it. Best 30 bucks you ever spent, really easy to do. Or go 19/42 with a 70 link chain.

OR, take some weight out of the primary. Remember though if you set it to 10500 in a climb, you will most likely hit the rev limiter on hardpack.

I set mine to just barely kiss the rev limiter on hard pack and she climbs at around 10300-10400, less in powder. Don't jack with the secondary to set rpm. :yam:

I would swap gears first, go with the 19/42 with 70 link chain if you ride a lot of boondocking and mountains, I run 18/43. Leave the clutching alone and see how the rpm does with the new gear, you can try blue-silver -blue primary spring if you like a higher enguagement.

I would also reccomend the shockwave helix, easy to ajust for the fine tuning, they work really good.

Oh, as said 100's of times get the camo extreme track.

I nun a19/42 gear setup on my sled now. My rpm was always around 9500 in the steep and deep. Now its 10600 with track speed at 48mph. at 7500ft elevation. I love the gearing for boondocking and hill climbs.

Back