• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 12 crank sensor & stator replacement instructions

Is this a problem with the first couple years of the Apex, or is it with all of them?
I have done 3 07's and one 06. Nothing 2008 and up. I never had to do any RX-1's.
It seems to be specific to 06-07, by the numbers.

I have done 3 07's and one 06. Nothing 2008 and up. I never had to do any RX-1's.

Ok, thanks. I've got an '06 with about 5000miles on it and since we don't have open trails here yet, I was looking for things to do on it before problems occur.
So any new ones I get from a dealer should be a newer one that won't have the same problems. Unless I can find a used one from a newer, lower mile sled.
Thanks!

Ok, thanks. I've got an '06 with about 5000miles on it and since we don't have open trails here yet, I was looking for things to do on it before problems occur.
So any new ones I get from a dealer should be a newer one that won't have the same problems. Unless I can find a used one from a newer, lower mile sled.
Thanks!
When you buy it from Yamaha, it comes with the stator and the part number does update. However, I can't confirm if the pickup coil is the reason it updates.
On the ones I fixed, I just used an aftermarket coil and soldered it in.

Just an FYI but I was getting the 'crank position sensor - code 12' on my 2008 Apex which has approx. 13,000 miles on it. Unlike others, I ended up replacing the whole stator assembly with Yamaha OEM parts because I plan on keeping it for many more miles. I still have my 03 RX-1 which has approx 11,000 miles on it and have yet to have any issues with the stator. I'm also hoping the 2018 does not develop this issue either.

How many Km or Miles on machine , you original owner? I wonder if it ever has been sank ..

interested in this as well as my 2011 is over 23000 km or 13000 mi with nothing showing yet.

Hey Folks, very interesting read. Last night I ordered an rms pickup coil as my apex is experiencing kickbacks and trouble cold starting and it definitely seems like my electronics are fighting me on this one. So after 100 hrs of reading and 40 hours of garage testing... I have a 2012 vector that I was able to swap similar items around to eliminate some of the possibilities. I've read and found the spi wiring for their pickup coil. But no luck so far with the rms one. From what I've read their instructions don't tell you which wire goes where. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't have the part in hand. But once the part arrives I don't want to search the web for another 60 hours finding it out. I just want to ride!!! The pictures show a blue and grey wire i believe, yamaha is black and grey. SPi Black doesn't go to yamaha black........ which doesn't make sense.. I wish black was a universal ground ....
So can anyone confirm the wiring.. Its only 2 wires so its a 50 percent chance it'll be right. I read on the phazer forum that a few have connected it wrong. Didn't seem to burn anything out, just either runs bad or doesn't fire at all. They switched the wires and presto... back purring. Would rather not do that. I never solder the wires as good the second time around when Im in a hurry.... lol
Thanks for any info...

Hey Folks, very interesting read. Last night I ordered an rms pickup coil as my apex is experiencing kickbacks and trouble cold starting and it definitely seems like my electronics are fighting me on this one. So after 100 hrs of reading and 40 hours of garage testing... I have a 2012 vector that I was able to swap similar items around to eliminate some of the possibilities. I've read and found the spi wiring for their pickup coil. But no luck so far with the rms one. From what I've read their instructions don't tell you which wire goes where. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't have the part in hand. But once the part arrives I don't want to search the web for another 60 hours finding it out. I just want to ride!!! The pictures show a blue and grey wire i believe, yamaha is black and grey. SPi Black doesn't go to yamaha black........ which doesn't make sense.. I wish black was a universal ground ....
So can anyone confirm the wiring.. Its only 2 wires so its a 50 percent chance it'll be right. I read on the phazer forum that a few have connected it wrong. Didn't seem to burn anything out, just either runs bad or doesn't fire at all. They switched the wires and presto... back purring. Would rather not do that. I never solder the wires as good the second time around when Im in a hurry.... lol
Thanks for any info...
You don't need to take it apart again and re-solder the wires if you get it wrong. Just switch them at the plug.
If they are wrong they usually don't start as good, or at all. If it does start, and idle doesn't seem smooth, that is another sign.

Ya, okay. I read similar threads where a couple of phazer folks had to switch em at the plug. Never caused an issue
So I'll keep my fingers crossed and here's what I'm thinking.

25% chance it fires up and idles perfect
25% chance its wired wrong, idles like crap or not all all and I need to swap wires.

50% chance that this wasnt my problem at all.........
I'll post my findomds

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its Sunday but I just received a shipping notice that my coil is on the way. Hope my dealer has quick access to the gasket needed.

In my experience when these fail, they fail completely as in nothing happens and a code 12 shows.
Also, they usually don't fail while running, what happens is one day the sled just won't start.

I wish I would get a code 12. I'm just running out of options to test. It started last year. A couple of cool temp starts. Not even in the minus. But it would miss alittle and clear up. Never happen again all day. Then slowly got worse through the season, only morning startups. Some farts and sputters then causing a single start stall. This season, 3 start stalls minimum. After 10 secs, runs excellent.
New plugs, the 9's
A tank of seafoam now passed through. Supreme only also
Tb's synce
Brand new battery
Coils tested and dielectric applied
Tps 16-98. Smooth numbers with no glitchy spots
Exup wired fully open...
Adj CO from minus 10 to plus 10. No change
Propane tested for vaccum leaks
All grounding blocks inspected and greased
Scrubbed throttle body plates with cleaner.
Iac valve and airbox sensor swapped for known working ones.
Tested with belt off primary.

It's a real pain to diagnose cause I only get one chance a day when its cooled off. The rest of the day it starts great. Runs strong.
So every day this week I've been trying something new... I even thought it may be a low voltage or voltage sag upon start up. So I attached through booster cable my deep cycle marine battery. It did turn over that morning alot faster than normal, but exact same fart fart studded stall.

D
I wish I would get a code 12. I'm just running out of options to test. It started last year. A couple of cool temp starts. Not even in the minus. But it would miss alittle and clear up. Never happen again all day. Then slowly got worse through the season, only morning startups. Some farts and sputters then causing a single start stall. This season, 3 start stalls minimum. After 10 secs, runs excellent.
New plugs, the 9's
A tank of seafoam now passed through. Supreme only also
Tb's synce
Brand new battery
Coils tested and dielectric applied
Tps 16-98. Smooth numbers with no glitchy spots
Exup wired fully open...
Adj CO from minus 10 to plus 10. No change
Propane tested for vaccum leaks
All grounding blocks inspected and greased
Scrubbed throttle body plates with cleaner.
Iac valve and airbox sensor swapped for known working ones.
Tested with belt off primary.

It's a real pain to diagnose cause I only get one chance a day when its cooled off. The rest of the day it starts great. Runs strong.
So every day this week I've been trying something new... I even thought it may be a low voltage or voltage sag upon start up. So I attached through booster cable my deep cycle marine battery. It did turn over that morning alot faster than normal, but exact same fart fart studded stall.
Doesn't sound like pickup coil to me. Have you checked coolant sensor reading in diagnostics mode?
Before starting it should be the same as ambient temperature of course.

No, I havent... how come I've never come across this before. ???? I would love to actually find an issue...
I'll have a peek for what u mentionned... thanks..

Okay, maybe I have found an issue....
My garage is pretty much 10 degrees C

My collant temperature shows an 11... sounds right

My air intake sensor is showing -30.
I see in some online info that It has a maximum lower value of -30...
No codes on 61, shows 00
62 shows a 1 that i cannot clear...

Back