• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 12 crank sensor & stator replacement instructions

Sorry sorry sorry.
My bad, had the darn thing apart so many times. Checked the diagnostic with the silly thing unplugged. Went to swap it with the wifes vector and found it unplugged, hers read 12. Mine now reads 12 on the air and 12 on the coolant. Almost grabbed a beer to celebrate... water and tylenol for the headache I guess...

my 12 apex has trouble starting first thing in the morning cold as well. I noticed on day that my coolant overflow bottle was a tad low so I topped it off and had no issues starting the sled all season don't know if that was why or not but no problem since and was the only thing I did.

Oh, would I love that to be somehow my issue. I did add a small amount to mine this year as well, it was almost empty, I filled it to half.
My plan this week is to run it hard with a tank of seafoam and Lucas injector cleaner. My gasket and pickup coil should be here on Friday. Going to buy a better multimeter gauge as mine seems funky at best. Then I'm going to recheck all my electronics. My coils all tested 0.00 on the primaries and 9.40 on the secondaries.... so I think my ohm setting is poached or just unreliable. 10 dollar, 10 year old tester.
Dealer told me today the stator is 330 and that he says it's common to have issues with the specific stator coils poll that powers the pickup coil... so I really want to properly test all of that. He mentionned the mag is 650..... yikes. For a spinning magnet... no way I need that but he said is currently unavailable anyways.......

Hi everyone, I'm joining the group as my Apex GT-S (2006) just failed with code 12. The sled as 19k+ miles. I ordered the Yamaha part, it's more expensive but don`t want to the stuck out there! I've tested the pick up and it`s gone. It's a bit more work to do with the MPI supercharged but will manage.

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_135752-mini.jpg
    IMG_20210221_135752-mini.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20210221_140841-mini.jpg
    IMG_20210221_140841-mini.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20210221_202234-mini.jpg
    IMG_20210221_202234-mini.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20210223_130627-mini.jpg
    IMG_20210223_130627-mini.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 206
Fixing my 2006 @ 17,000 mi. not charging added too many watts? Heated seat, alarm system, heated phone cradle, Silverstar Ultras
white-white all 0.6 ohms s/b around .15-.24?
AC output 18/14/13V
Ordered a stator and gasket hopefully fixes it
Also used muffler, 3rd one - broke clean at the y to main weld
First time a wrench on the motor. Determined to ride this sled to the first valve adjustment.
Never been towed. Got jumped a couple of times last trip out.

You don't have a error code? you only want more 12v output. Not sure the new stator will give you more!

You don't have a error code? you only want more 12v output. Not sure the new stator will give you more!
It's not charging the battery only getting 12.05V at 5,000 rpm with accessories off. Going by the service manual resistance is too high. Not sure about the voltage but assume the three phases ought to have equal output?

Fixing my 2006 @ 17,000 mi. not charging added too many watts? Heated seat, alarm system, heated phone cradle, Silverstar Ultras
white-white all 0.6 ohms s/b around .15-.24?
AC output 18/14/13V
Ordered a stator and gasket hopefully fixes it
Also used muffler, 3rd one - broke clean at the y to main weld
First time a wrench on the motor. Determined to ride this sled to the first valve adjustment.
Never been towed. Got jumped a couple of times last trip out.

have you checked the bulkhead/tunnel rivits? the breaking exh is a sign of them being loose under the fuel tank on the rx/apex/rage/vector sleds. had to do my 05 war for the 1st time and brothers 04 war for the second time around that milage.

have you checked the bulkhead/tunnel rivits? the breaking exh is a sign of them being loose under the fuel tank on the rx/apex/rage/vector sleds. had to do my 05 war for the 1st time and brothers 04 war for the second time around that milage.
Thanks for the tip I'll check them. I did some major work at 10,000 mi including replacing all loose rivets and adding rivets where I found the loose ones and yes that area under the tank had a bunch of loose ones. That muffler cracked at the y and got welded at the Yamaha dealer in Alma, QC a few years ago after a rough ride. I've been into the exhaust for various problems every couple of thousand miles since I've owned the sled. I added a mid support which came loose. Should have fixed it.

I've completed the install of the new OEM stator/sensor. But no go! Crank but no start and code 12 is flashing. The ohm meter show 486 on the sensor test, which is in range. The installation was easy, not sure if I could of goof there???

Next, I will check the harness to the ECU. Is there anyone that have replaced the OEM stator/sensor and did not fixed the problem?

Is anyone know what is the pinout of the ECU? I have the manual shop but it`s not really detail in there and it`s written soo small, probably will take picture then enlarge it.

Here my plan of action:

1) check if the position sensor has the same value at the ECU ends.
2) re-check the stator-cover position using the alignment mark from the cover pee hole.
3) remove crank cover and re-check installation. maybe check the Position sensor gap. Since I installed a OEM Yamaha stator/sensor I did not think the gap was an issue since the sensor had only 1 place to go.

Is there anyone have any suggestion at this point. That would be much appreciated.

The first & most important part of this job is to warm up the garage, lol!!
This a fairly easy job that most can save $$ by doing it them self.
-first, remove hood, right side panel, right lower side panel & I also removed the light assembly & the air box to make it easier to get to the wire.
-drain oil, remove all hoses from the oil reservoir & remove the oil tank.
-unplug the stator from the regulator ( front of sled, top plug)
-remove the stator cover ( it is under magnetic force). Take note that there are three different length of bolts holding the cover on, the one really long one goes below the rubber grommet.
-measure the distance between the stator & the pick-up coil ( a necessity when using an aftermarket pick-up coil) I used OEM but measured anyway. I put a 1/4" drive 10mm socket between the stator & pick-up coil, fit nicely, then I got a more precise measurement using the feeler gauge with the 10mm socket. 10mm socket plus 15 thousands of an inch.(there is a pic of this)
-remove pick-up coil & stator & replace with new.
-make sure to thoroughly clean the old gasket off both the cover & housing as this has to have a good seal because it runs wet (oil bath)
-install new gasket & stator cover, re-route the wire to front of sled & plug stator back in.
-re-install the oil tank, hoses, airbox.......everything you took off in reverse order, lol

Can you confirm the new OEM stator/sensor gap was the same as the old one?

When doing the replacement I didn't bother checking if the gap were the same...Aldo not sure if the OEM gap can be adjusted.
Tks

As long as you replaced with an OEM stator, the sensor would have already been mounted in place so no worries there. It's just those guys that ended up replacing the sensor and not the complete stator (Yamaha does not offer just the sensor; only the complete assembly) that had to worry about the gap being correct. I have had to replace the stator on my 08 Apex and never worried about the gap but unlike you, replacing my stator resolved the issues I was having. Maybe check all those ground blocks in the wiring harness, I ended up finding 5 of them. Fortunately, mine were all good.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 154
Found the issue: One of the RB3 controller piggy back connector was plug incorrectly (my bad).

To track down this issue I built a RB3 bypass connector, which I can now use to see if the controller is at fault or not.

Great summer to all!

Back