• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 12 crank sensor & stator replacement instructions

ranger1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
The first & most important part of this job is to warm up the garage, lol!!
This a fairly easy job that most can save $$ by doing it them self.
-first, remove hood, right side panel, right lower side panel & I also removed the light assembly & the air box to make it easier to get to the wire.
-drain oil, remove all hoses from the oil reservoir & remove the oil tank.
-unplug the stator from the regulator ( front of sled, top plug)
-remove the stator cover ( it is under magnetic force). Take note that there are three different length of bolts holding the cover on, the one really long one goes below the rubber grommet.
-measure the distance between the stator & the pick-up coil ( a necessity when using an aftermarket pick-up coil) I used OEM but measured anyway. I put a 1/4" drive 10mm socket between the stator & pick-up coil, fit nicely, then I got a more precise measurement using the feeler gauge with the 10mm socket. 10mm socket plus 15 thousands of an inch.(there is a pic of this)
-remove pick-up coil & stator & replace with new.
-make sure to thoroughly clean the old gasket off both the cover & housing as this has to have a good seal because it runs wet (oil bath)
-install new gasket & stator cover, re-route the wire to front of sled & plug stator back in.
-re-install the oil tank, hoses, airbox.......everything you took off in reverse order, lol

Attachments

• 20150216_205446.jpg
    20150216_205446.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 3,426
  • 20150217_125843.jpg
    20150217_125843.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,838
  • 20150216_214830.jpg
    20150216_214830.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 6,134
  • 20150216_225048.jpg
    20150216_225048.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 3,548
  • 20150217_125926.jpg
    20150217_125926.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,115
Last edited:

Nice thanks....

This should also be a sticky with the title changed to "Code 12 - Crank Position Sensor Repair"

Why after market is it cost thing or performance thing
It is a cost thing for sure as OEM doesn't offer just the crank sensor. They sell the stator & sensor as one unit at a cost of just under $400. The RMstator crank sensor which must be spliced into the wiring cost under $30. I replaced both as I have heard of stator failures as well on the older models.

It is a cost thing for sure as OEM doesn't offer just the crank sensor. They sell the stator & sensor as one unit at a cost of just under $400. The RMstator crank sensor which must be spliced into the wiring cost under $30. I replaced both as I have heard of stator failures as well on the older models.
Will a bad sensor take out a stator? Should I be replacing my sensor just because? I have a 06 ER with 8,1XX

Will a bad sensor take out a stator? Should I be replacing my sensor just because? I have a 06 ER with 8,1XX
Sensor & stator run together but a bad sensor won't affect the stator. As far as changing it as preventative maintenance, I am not sure how many run into this problem & what the odds are of it failing.

My guess is Yamaha sells it as ONE unit --Stator and pick up coil because i believe many CAN and WILL make a mistake splicing in the pickup coil / (Yamaha) if they offered one << or RM stator pickup..

I'll be doing my stator in my 2011 apex once it shows up i ordered an aftermarket stator and a gasket from yamaha. Sleds not charging,,, 12.4 volts not running, 12.3 volts running. I got ground continuity on all the white wires, and shows .5 olms on all different combanations of white wires. I was told wires are prob burnt to the stator frame. Good news is with one boost your sled will get you pretty far on a good battery (one boost got me home after it died.... i got 12 klms or more and landed home with 8volts left and it was still running but with a code 46 and no hand warmers working.
Im guessing it will be a good time to change my oil and filter?
I also think this thread should be a sticky or in the elec section not the general section. Great info and took me a while to find it on the site.
currently Jan 2018 canadian prices I found was 15$ gasket, $240 aftermarket or RM stator. $420 yamaha brand stator.

I'll be doing my stator in my 2011 apex once it shows up i ordered an aftermarket stator and a gasket from yamaha. Sleds not charging,,, 12.4 volts not running, 12.3 volts running. I got ground continuity on all the white wires, and shows .5 olms on all different combanations of white wires. I was told wires are prob burnt to the stator frame. Good news is with one boost your sled will get you pretty far on a good battery (one boost got me home after it died.... i got 12 klms or more and landed home with 8volts left and it was still running but with a code 46 and no hand warmers working.
Im guessing it will be a good time to change my oil and filter?
I also think this thread should be a sticky or in the elec section not the general section. Great info and took me a while to find it on the site.
currently Jan 2018 canadian prices I found was 15$ gasket, $240 aftermarket or RM stator. $420 yamaha brand stator.
How many Km or Miles on machine , you original owner? I wonder if it ever has been sank ..

Back