• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 81 no start!

Sklouser

Hey all could use some input.
My wife was pulling our daughter around on my 11 Nytro XTX the other day, she said the yellow warning indicator started flashing so she shut it down. When I got home to fire it up the yellow warning light is flashing along with the engine symbol and displaying a code 81. When I turn the key the starter relay just clicks real fast and the sled will not turn over. I have read what the code 81 is, would this still be an open circuit issue?

My friends did the samething but it was just the hand warmers and the sled still ran so maybe there is a broken connection?

I think you may be right, I also noticed that when I operate the grip
Warmer switch nothing appears on the screen, no bars showing the heat level, the thumb warmer indicator is there but nothing on the bars. Suppose I will start looking for some broken wires in the grip warmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

code 81 will not cause a no start. The indicator light could have been from running it hot if she wasn't getting enough air through it. Low fuel will also turn a warning indicator on. If the starter relay clicks but doesn't turn over the engine it could be a bad starter, relay or low battery. First check to make sure the engine isn't locked up by rolling it over by hand at the primary clutch. Rotate it CCW only. If it rolls freely use a jumper across the starter relay posts to see if the starter is working. If it starts then you have a bad relay.

Starting issues: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=931403#931403

Sounds like I may have a couple problems then. I swapped the relay from my other sled and still the same. The battery is fully charged and good. I will try those other things and see what I can find. Thanks a bunch for the replies!!

Engine rolls over by hand but I got nothing jumping the starter relays would that mean my starter is shot?

Jumping the relay puts power directly to the starter so unless the wire is bad/loose it's most likely a bad starter. The Yamaha starters have been an issue for years although the starter relays have added to their failures. The relay sometimes fails in a closed circuit condition and keeps the starter engaged after the engine start. This is difficult to detect and causes the starter to overheat and internal come apart. When replacing a starter I recommend also replacing the starter relay.

Well, I checked the battery with a meter to be sure and I was wrong! The battery is toast! Easy fix after all. Thanks for the input I definitely learned a few things through this.

That battery is one of the biggest things on any motor if it wonot run check the 3 main components to make a motor run.... ignition, fuel, air.

x2- just had this code 81 show up yesterday when I was 35km in the woods. Dash started to blink. I found that 81 was hand warmers so I stopped machine to find the wires and unplug the warmers. tried to re start, nothing. not even the fuel pump would cut in. I tried to jump the starter solenoid terminals and still nothing. Though it to be really strange that my battery would be dead especially after I had just started it 1km before with no issue. my battery was completely dead. I couldn't even get and spark on the terminals when I shorted them out. I had to rob my buddies battery from his old 500ss to get home. It was my first time in 20yrs that a Yamaha machine has let me down.

my battery was completely dead. I couldn't even get and spark on the terminals when I shorted them out. I had to rob my buddies battery from his old 500ss to get home.

Was it a bad battery or did the charging system fail?

I can only assume it is the battery. if my charging system was at fault, the battery definitely wouldn't die in 1 km. and the sled did still run but I made the mistake of shutting it down to check things out so that tells me that it was still putting out dc voltage.

I had the same issue and it was a bad battery. Had code 81, intermittent start issues. I had load tested the battery and it appeared to be good. Took it to the dealer and it was the battery. Putting in new battery solved all the issues I had.

My battery was shot and my starter. Posted some tricks to change the starter without removing the airbox. I replaced the relay too so all three are new (battery, starte, relay)... Starts perfectly now.

Back