• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 81

wacnstac

Pro
Got an engine lamp with a code 81 out of the blue today. Looks like the fault codes that used to be posted in this forum are gone now. Saw on some other forums that this might be an open or shorted hand warmer. The warmers seemed to be working fine.

Ah, good 'ol PhotoBucket. Screwing forums everywhere. Look for a PhotoBucket fix for your browser. If not, here they are:
FaultCodes1.jpg
faultCodes2.jpg

Could be your grips shorting to ground or a wiring fault. Time to start digging...

Actually found the service manual after I made my post. Now on to what would suddenly cause this. The grip warmers seemed to be working finem

Also I'm guessing it must be talking about the front grips as the rears were off. No way to tell if they are open or shorted

The rears are independent run on DC through a switch and fuse so those ain't it. There's something with the fronts, probably a short to ground. They might still work but if the element is wearing through to the bar, it might be shorting. As per the manual, check the resistance and shorts to ground..

May just have to ride with the hand warmers off for the rest of the season. Way too much now and good riding and not enough time.

Back