• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold Hands

Well mine get very hot here as well. So hot they actually burn your thumb. I ain't complaining cause tonite its -45 deg C. Oh and she started no problem with about 10 cranks and no cold start update.

Whats messed up is my warmers were hot tonite but were warm the other nite and they even cooked at idle in which the manual says they turn off

Sure it does if it is parked outside. And actually it hasn't been started since Sunday. I thought for sure the battery would be dead. Manitoba winters are hard on everything as you know.

Weapon X said:
Isthatahemi said:
It was - 24C at the time you posted this. (-35 with windchill) Wind doesn't count when it comes to starting. (phazerfx500)
not sure why it wouldnt.
Wind chill doesn't decrease the ambient air temperature and therefore wouldn't affect starting. It is only a reference to how cold the wind "feels" on human skin. An example: A wind-chill factor of 25° F (- 4° C) will not freeze water if the air temperature is 35° F (2° C). Water changes state according to the temperature of the body of the water. In this case, the water and air temperature are about the same — too high to freeze water.
Wind itself will strip heat away faster from your machine but will only cool to the ambient air temperature.
Back to the topic... my 07 FX cooks my hands on high, but my finger tips seem cold. I was thinking of trying larger hand guards or some way of re-directing the wind by the handlebars. I've seen some pics of Phazers that have what looks like black plastic "U" shaped pieces attached to the upper body panels behind the headlight. Anyone have these on their sled?

Yes, the cups you are referring to a wind deflectors. They come standard on the GT models. There are 2 sets, one set mounts on the headlight shroud and the other set mounts lower near the side of the gas tank. You can purchase them from your dealer.

2007 Model Part Numbers:

Headlight Mount Deflectors
8GK-77231-00-00
8GK-7723A-00-00

Gas Tank Mount (dont mount to the tank, im just referring to location)
8GK-77561-00-00
8GK-77562-00-00

Prices are not shown, Yamaha website says see dealer. I think they are about $30 a piece, so $60 a set. About $120 for all 4 peices. Again I am just guessing from memory. Check with your dealer.

They do work wonders and I personally wouldnt own this sled without them. I see guys with no windshield and no deflectors on these sleds, they have got to be freezing. I bought the GT's specifically because the high windshield and deflectors come standard. Good Luck!

phazerfx500 said:
Sure it does if it is parked outside. And actually it hasn't been started since Sunday. I thought for sure the battery would be dead. Manitoba winters are hard on everything as you know.

My point was it was -24 when you got home from riding. Your sled did not start at or anywhere near -45. It was -22 in Brandon, at 9PM. It's misleading to say a non updated sled would start at -45, let alone -30C. And wind chill affects the rate at which things cool, not how cold they get.
BTW....-45 is the coldest recorded temperature in history for Brandon...

ndc821 said:
They do work wonders and I personally wouldnt own this sled without them. I see guys with no windshield and no deflectors on these sleds, they have got to be freezing. I bought the GT's specifically because the high windshield and deflectors come standard. Good Luck!

I have no windshield and no deflectors and the only thing that gets cold is my fingertips and I have those big powermadd hand guards but the wind gets around them into my crap skidoo gloves but I bought new Arctiva one today so we see, but otherwise I get too warm behind a big windshield.

Isthatahemi said:
phazerfx500 said:

My point was it was -24 when you got home from riding. Your sled did not start at or anywhere near -45. It was -22 in Brandon, at 9PM. It's misleading to say a non updated sled would start at -45, let alone -30C. And wind chill affects the rate at which things cool, not how cold they get.
BTW....-45 is the coldest recorded temperature in history for Brandon...
LOL. For those of us who live in Manitoba know very well that temps get well below -30C. I am not mis-leading anyone. Just stating my experience with MY sled. I have NO problems with starting in those temps. Something we have to remember that not all machines are the same. If wind-chill factors have no affect on cold start, then I stand corrected. It was actually -29 here that nite and I wasn't out riding that evening. It has started many times colder than -29 (not including wind-chill) without ECU update. Anyway, H/T warmers still work great.

Thanks for the part numbers ndc821!! I'm going to try moving the stock hanguards around and I'm installing a low windshield to see if it helps. If not, the deflectors are my next shot. I too ride with no windshield or deflectors. The only issue is just the tips of my fingers... I wear a Arai SuperMoto helmet, shield up with goggles and a light balclava. I have a Yamaha jacket and bibs and they are actually too warm unless I'm above tree-line (11,000 and up) with a brisk wind and around zero degrees f. Any aggressive trail riding and I'm perspiring. Not so good when it is cold outside.

Manitoba in the winter... brrr... I used to drive to the February Winnipeg motorcycle show back in the mid 80's (bought a RZ500!) when I lived in Minnesota. Damn that drive from Pembina to Winnipeg was cold and windy. I remember having to watch for highway overpasses and bracing as we smacked the snowdrift on the other side! Is the Gimli race track still around?
I've never met more friendly folks as there are in Manitoba though...
Oh, Wildwood Yamaha was the shop I bought the RZ from. Great dealership!

RZ 500...wow sweet bike! I bought an '86 RZ350 with Toomey pipes back in '94. Fastest 350 ever made. Was stupid and sold it in '97 with only 4200 kms.
Yes I believe the Gimli track is still open. A friend of mine used to race his Stang there.

ha ha thats funny I used to race my 5.0 at gimli when I had it, but now I just race moto-x at the new track they built on the complex. My uncle worked for wildwood back in the 80's for like 15 years and used to drag bikes for them back then in gimli.

Back