• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold starting problem - undocumented fix??

gkw

Extreme
I made another trip to Quebec this week and the weather was the coldest my Attak has seen so far. Day 1, -2F, sled started OK, but idle went very low before coming up to high idle and then red light went out and sled ran great.

Day 2, -5 and high winds, sled starts, runs 10 seconds, and dies. Tries to start, but just won't go. 20 minutes with hairdryer in and around injectors, but same result. Called the local dealer and he suggested this fix:

Disconnect sensor from left of airbox.
Crank engine
If no start, give quarter throttle.
When it starts, wait one minute and reconnect sensor.
It ran fine after that.

Day 3, -1 and clear skies, same story. Starts and runs for 10 seconds and dies. This time, I just unplugged the sensor and it fire right up at 1/4 throttle.

Other notes - I put Isopropyl at every gas stop and I cover my sled at night.

There either is a sensor problem or the sensor is working as designed and it gets confused in cold weather??

Anybody else seen this??

GW

I really question if Isopropyl is a good thing to do. Try not using Isoproply and see if you have the same results.

gkw said:
Other notes - I put Isopropyl at every gas stop and I cover my sled at night.

You shouldn't need to use that stuff but maybe once or twice a season. Isopropyl isn't good for fuel related parts.

I only glug in a little bit, but that is good advice. I will try no drygas next time. (Hopefully, it won't be that cold next time!!)

GW

The lowest temp i started my Attak was -11F....no problems.....next morning was a balmy -8F, again no problems.

Canadian fuel maybe??

maybe if cover is put on when warm there is more moisture kept inside around engine & sensor & that may be screwing it up a little.
I have had only 1 or 2 times at or below 0 degrees and it fired right up. I have no cover, but I've had it in an enclosed trailer with a lot of moisture with no problems.

My sled had the same idle problems but would always start. Coldest was around 0F.

Took it to my dealer and told him about the poor idle and they adjusted the idle settings as all were not sync'ed. FYI.

Thanks
Matt
;)!

One Apex had a starting problem that was due to a relay under the left foot well closest to the inside of the sled there are four there it is the very inside one that was causing this problem. The problem was it would start and run fine on initial morning start then after shut off for awhile it would crank and no start. Tapping on this relay fixed the problem for that day anyhow. So if this happens to you on the trail now you have something to try before getting towed.

I was in Northern Ontario last week and one morning it was -35 C which is close to -35F and my Attak fired right up. The RX1 that was in the group was a biatch to get going, but we finally got her started.

My Apex GT has been a great starting sled in all temps so far. It even started in the early morning of March 18th when it was an unbelieveable 27 F below zero. It turned over slowly but fired right away. It didn't sound good for a few seconds though until the oil got into the engine.

The cover that I use is just a light nylon cover that I keep in my trunk because there is alway 2" of flurries overnight. So I don't think there is a moisture problem.

It was interesting that the dealer up there knew right away what to try to fix it. And it worked exactly as he suggested.

Perhaps I have a bad sensor?

GW

Sled Dog said:
One Apex had a starting problem that was due to a relay under the left foot well closest to the inside of the sled there are four there it is the very inside one that was causing this problem..

Rod is talking about the fuel pump relay. If you don't hear the pump start when turning the key on prior to engaging the starter, then that is your problem. Apparently the relays might have moisture in them. Pull out the relay, thaw it out and try again.

The first question the dealer asked was if the fuel pump was cycling, which it was. I knew from prior posts that there was probably nothing frozen.

So I guess it's that airbox sensor, or bad Canada gas??

GW

if your sensor is faulty it wouldnt run once you plug it back in. It is prolly got something to do with fuel mixture on the map. When the sensor is disconnected it will defaultl the ecm into thinking its very warm outside temp or very cold outside temp not sure which it is. If it was a GM product it fools the ecm into thinking its warmer and it will run leaner. I know on GM car/trucks if you wrap the air temp sensor in insulation it will give you better gas milage in the winter as the ecm thinks the outside air is warmer thus leaning out the mixture.

Impala,
Please explain comment about isopropyl. I always thought it was a fuel additive. You are saying it will hurt fuel related parts??

Back